file Thanks for the Donation - Longevity of Effects and Recontest

26 May 2023 19:25 #108174 by Killiam
I am wondering about what happens when a Thanks for the Donation sticks around after a contest has ended, and then the same card gets recontested. I have thought of three cases where the answer might be different.

For all of the following scenarios, assume that I have played Thanks for the Donation and chosen a card that I am contesting with my prey. Also assume that no actions are ever taken to remove the Thanks.

Scenario 1: My prey yields the contest, and my contested card returns to play on my next unlock phase. In a later turn, someone else contests that same card.

Scenario 2: My prey yields the contest, but before my next unlock phase comes around, another Methuselah contests the same card.

Scenario 3: My prey yields. After I get my contested card back, it gets burned. I play another copy of the same card, and then my prey plays one too and we start a new contest.

QUESTION: "In any of the three scenarios, does the previously played Thanks for the Donation go into effect for the new contestation? If so, which ones? 1, 2, 3, or all? In which cases does the old Thanks NOT apply?"

Thanks much!
-Bill / Killiam

Name: Thanks for the Donation
[Sabbat:R, SW:R]
Cardtype: Action
Discipline: Dominate
+1 stealth action.
[dom] Put this card into play and choose a card you are contesting with another Methuselah. Your cost to avoid yielding the contested card is now paid by your prey. (You still decide whether you will yield.) Any minion may burn this card as a (D) action.

-Killiam
(Bill Troxel)
"How did some slip of a girly boy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?" -Hedwig Robinson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2023 08:43 #108181 by KoRneeshon
Interesting question indeed - I would say 3 is a no, as the new card is not the one you have chosen when you played TftD.

The other two are my guess and I would say yes, as there's nothing in the TftD's card text that breaks the effect.

On the other hand, for example, Sensory Deprivation's effect is broken when the target vampire becomes uncontrolled and the effect does not kick back in when the vampire goes back to the controlled area - so maybe ending the contest also brakes the effect of TftD and it no longer counts for the following contests of the same card. Ankha, enlight us :)

More
27 May 2023 19:53 - 27 May 2023 19:56 #108188 by inm8

I am wondering about what happens when a Thanks for the Donation sticks around after a contest has ended, and then the same card gets recontested. I have thought of three cases where the answer might be different.

For all of the following scenarios, assume that I have played Thanks for the Donation and chosen a card that I am contesting with my prey. Also assume that no actions are ever taken to remove the Thanks.

Scenario 1: My prey yields the contest, and my contested card returns to play on my next unlock phase. In a later turn, someone else contests that same card.

Scenario 2: My prey yields the contest, but before my next unlock phase comes around, another Methuselah contests the same card.

Scenario 3: My prey yields. After I get my contested card back, it gets burned. I play another copy of the same card, and then my prey plays one too and we start a new contest.

QUESTION: "In any of the three scenarios, does the previously played Thanks for the Donation go into effect for the new contestation? If so, which ones? 1, 2, 3, or all? In which cases does the old Thanks NOT apply?"

Yes to 1 & 2, the effect of TftD doesn´t have a "turn off" clause --> Ruling

No to 3, because it isn´t the chosen card that is being contested
Somewhat supporting ruling
Last edit: 27 May 2023 19:56 by inm8. Reason: added second ruling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Killiam

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds