question-circle Loquipments rulings and cost reductors

21 Jun 2023 23:28 #108419 by Ratadin
And as soon as you resolve it, the card stops being an equipment. So if I have a British Museum and a Therebold Realty, can I pay 0 for a Palatial State? Or only 1?

If I can pay 0, i do not understand the ruling. The card cannot be a location and an equipment, because the text that makes it a location also unmakes it as an equipment. Card text cannot be resolved partially, it is resolved or it isn't. I could understand that the "resolve and pay is done at the same time" concept, but in the sense that "when effects resolve at the same time, you can order them", so I can pay (as an equipment) and then resolve it (now it is a location), or resolve it (it is now a location and not an equipment) and then pay (as a location), but I do not understand the "I start paying as an equipment, I resolve (now it is a location), I finish paying as a location" idea, nor "I am both resolving and not resolving, and so I am an equipment and a location, pay whatever you want", because that is magic. Now, if this were a Maleficia card, I could get behind it, but houses are not magic.

(not trying to be confrontational, this just doesn't make much sense at all).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2023 04:49 - 22 Jun 2023 05:02 #108421 by inm8

So if I have a British Museum and a Therebold Realty, can I pay 0 for a Palatial State? Or only 1?

It would costs 0.

There is a distinction between
a) two things happening in the same time window (e.g. The Rack and Army of Rats)
and
b) two things happening simultaneously (e.g. strike resolution)

The resolution and payment of an action falls into b), the loquipment is therefore at a transient state at this stage where it is considered to be both an equipment and a location which makes both the cost affecting effects applicable.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2023 05:02 by inm8.

More
22 Jun 2023 08:39 #108424 by Ratadin
I see what you mean with simultaneous, and I could agree. But the "transient" thing makes little sense both through natural language and the rulebook, and no one could reach that conclusion on their own.

More
02 Jul 2023 07:42 #108527 by Draud
Interesting one here...

a diferent point of view:

your action is to equip so you must pay for the loquipment cost
you won't pay until the action is succesfull, so until then the loquipment remains equipment
after you pay for the ation it becomes a location, because if your vampire don't have enough blood the action won't be succesfull and the loquipment won't enter the game.

Is this not a better way to describe what happens there so no possible reduction for becoming a Location?

More
04 Jul 2023 13:58 - 04 Jul 2023 13:59 #108562 by Bloodartist

It would costs 0.

It shouldn't though. Palatial estate is not a location until it is in play, ie. after it has resolved. After it has resolved it has already been paid for. (a card that cannot be paid for cannot resolve).

In other words, it is paid before it resolves (ie. before it is a location) and thus should not get discount from Therbold realty.

In my eyes, this is relatively straightforward and logical. However, rules are too often applied in an illogical way because there exists a desire to have a card function in a specific, traditional way that is in contradiction with rules. This is something that we should strive to get rid of.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 04 Jul 2023 13:59 by Bloodartist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds