file "after an successful action" vs. "after resolution of a successful action"

04 Oct 2023 19:17 #109492 by cmdrKEEN
Marked Path uses the wording: "Only usable after a successful Ⓓ action."

Forced March uses: "Only usable after resolution of a successful action."

Example: Vampire A has one blood and bleeds with "Govern the unaligned" (inf). Vampire B tries to block. Vampire A plays "Elder impersonation" spending their last blood. No other block attempts are made. Action is declared successful. The cost cannot be paid. No resolution occurs.

Question 1: Can "Marked Path" be used before resolution, after the action is declared to be successful? When can "Marked Path" be played?
My guess: No, it still can only be played after the action. The "successful" is just further defining the kind of action that has to be over.

Question 2: in the above example, can Vampire A play "Marked Path"?
My guess: yes, the action is successful. Otherwise it would not have to be paid.

Question 3: in the above example, can Vampire A play "Forced March"?
My guess: no, there was no resolution of the action. Just as if it was cancelled before resolution.

Question 4: is an action that fizzles due to not being able to pay the cost still considered successful?
My guess: yes, an action has to be successful before it has to be paid. An action can only fizzle after the point it has to be paid.

Question 5: is an action that fizzles due to not being able to pay the cost considered resolved?
My guess: no, it never gets that far.

Marked Path:
Only usable after a successful Ⓓ action.
[obf]Put this card on the acting vampire. During a Ⓓ action against the same Methuselah (or same set of Methuselahs), this vampire may burn this card to get +1 stealth.
[OBF]As above, but for +2 stealth.

Forced March:
A vampire can play only one Forced March each turn.
[for]+[cel] Only usable after resolution of a successful action. Unlock this vampire.
[FOR]+[CEL] +1 stealth. After action resolution, if the action was successful, this vampire can burn 1 blood to unlock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2023 20:30 - 04 Oct 2023 20:41 #109493 by Hobbesgoblin
q1: "after an [...] action" and after action resolution is the same
boardgamegeek.com/thread/648695/article/6701545#6701545

q2: yes, the action was still sucesfull, and it was a d action, even if the effects do not take place
groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/c/umdINigMKqs

q3: same as q2. "Action resolution" is the step whre all action effects, uncluding finding out if the action was sucesful or not and paying for the action happens. The only way to have no action resolution, is to play a card that has the text "Action ends" on it, and does not specify "unsucesfull" (Kiss of Ra)

q4: yes, see q2

q5: yes, an action that fizzles is resolved, because fizzle is a special case of resolved. see q2

Any action that has not been cancled MUST ALWAYS resolve, unless it is "ended" by a card effect like "kiss of ra".
If it is blocked it resolved unsucesfull (or by an card effect that says so explicetly)
If it not blocked it always resolves sucesfully (unless a card effect says otherwise)
An action that, after resolving sucesfully has become illegal, fizzles, but it is still an sucesful action
Last edit: 04 Oct 2023 20:41 by Hobbesgoblin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakuron, inm8

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds