file Interaction between Torn Signpost and Increased Strength

21 Dec 2023 16:41 #110146 by Flores
My question is the following: if I entered combat and used torn signpost (on either level, but for argument's sake let's say superior) and increased strength (again, let's use superior) before the distance is set, and proceeded to use my standard hand strike, increased by torn signpost to base strength 3, would I then get the bonus from increased strength for using a strike that requires potence?

The basis for this question is the fact that I could not gain the base 3 strength from torn signpost if I didn't have potence on superior, therefore my attack benefitting from it would qualify as a strike that requires potence.

groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/c/e2PNDpg-l_c/m/wqEDxGHKJQgJ

This is based on this ruling for heroic might, in which, in my opinion at least, the same logic is being applied. This is the part that talks about heroic might:

>> 4) Heroic Might - Does the 2R strike count as a "strike that requires
>> Potence", for purposes of Increased Strength? (Precedent: Improvised
>> Tactics' strike _does_ count)
>
> The strike comes from a card requiring Potence, so it would be a
> strike that requires Potence.

These are the most recent card texts for each of the cards mentioned on this post:

Name: Torn Signpost
[Jyhad:U, VTES:U, SW:PB, CE:U, Anarchs:PAG, KMW:PAl2, Third:PB2/SKB2, LotN:PG2, KoT:U/PB3, HttB:PGar3, V5A:PB5]
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Potence
Only usable before range is determined.
[pot] This vampire gets a strength of 2 this combat.
[POT] This vampire gets a strength of 3 this combat.
Artist: Jeff Menges; Brian LeBlanc

Name: Increased Strength
[AH:C2, FN:PG2, CE:C/PN3, BH:PN2, LoB:PO2, Third:PB2/SKB2]
Cardtype: Combat
Only usable before range is determined.
[pot] For the remainder of combat, all damaging strikes that require Potence [pot] made by this vampire inflict +1 damage.
[POT] As above, but those strikes inflict +2 damage.
Artist: L. A. Williams

Name: Heroic Might
[KoT:U/A2, V5A:PB2]
Cardtype: Action
Cost: 3 blood
+3 stealth action.
[pot] Put this card on this vampire. This vampire gets +1 strength. This vampire can strike: burn equipment. Burn this card if this vampire is in torpor. A vampire can have only one Heroic Might.
[POT] As above, with an additional +1 strength, and this vampire can strike: 2R damage.
Artist: Mathias Kollros

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2023 18:40 - 21 Dec 2023 18:41 #110147 by Ankha
No, as Torn Signpost doesn't provide a strike (contrary to the "Strike: 2R" provided by Heroic Might in the ruling you quote).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 21 Dec 2023 18:41 by Ankha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds