file Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool

10 Mar 2024 23:19 #110866 by Bhobbit
Evening, guys.

Lucian, the Perfect, for example, bleeds his prey and uses +2 stealth. The bleed is redirected to me (Lucian's methuselah predator). I have two vampires available for blocking, but only one of them has enough intercept to do it. One of my vampires is Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool. On purpose, I say that Valerius tries to block, even without having or playing any intercept on him during the action, just to activate his power. He announces trying to block, but fails, leaving Lucian unable to increase stealth with Obfuscation, correct? So, I can block with the other vampire without any problems.

The question is: If an action already has stealth, does Valerius must have/play intercept on him for his "attempts to block" text to work?

Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2024 05:41 #110867 by smeeag
Replied by smeeag on topic Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool
You don't block with both minion at the same time. The moment you start blocking with another minion Valerius is not attempting anymore.

More
11 Mar 2024 07:19 #110868 by inm8
Replied by inm8 on topic Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool

Evening, guys.

Lucian, the Perfect, for example, bleeds his prey and uses +2 stealth. The bleed is redirected to me (Lucian's methuselah predator). I have two vampires available for blocking, but only one of them has enough intercept to do it. One of my vampires is Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool. On purpose, I say that Valerius tries to block, even without having or playing any intercept on him during the action, just to activate his power. He announces trying to block, but fails, leaving Lucian unable to increase stealth with Obfuscation, correct? So, I can block with the other vampire without any problems.

Interesting use of Valerius, per card text the effect "cannot play action modifiers [...] " is not worded to only apply while Valerius is the one attempting to block...

Ankha please confirm that Valerius´ effect continues to affect the acting even after Valerius fails the attempt to block, thanks.

The question is: If an action already has stealth, does Valerius must have/play intercept on him for his "attempts to block" text to work?

No, a block being attempted is its own effect which doesn´t depend on stealth and intercept levels.

More
11 Mar 2024 09:01 - 11 Mar 2024 09:05 #110869 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool

Evening, guys.

Lucian, the Perfect, for example, bleeds his prey and uses +2 stealth. The bleed is redirected to me (Lucian's methuselah predator). I have two vampires available for blocking, but only one of them has enough intercept to do it. One of my vampires is Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool. On purpose, I say that Valerius tries to block, even without having or playing any intercept on him during the action, just to activate his power. He announces trying to block, but fails, leaving Lucian unable to increase stealth with Obfuscation, correct?

Correct.
Valerius' effect triggers as soon as he is attempting to block, and lasts until the end of the action (his cardtext is not "while Valerius is attempting to block...", it's a trigger).
groups.google.com/g/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/c/vet0HGRxtXQ/m/gRJalPv4lLoJ

No. You can attempt to block with minions lacking intercept (otherwise, you wouldn't be able to add intercept). And you MUST declare block attempts before adding intercept.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 11 Mar 2024 09:05 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: inm8, Bhobbit

More
11 Mar 2024 10:52 #110870 by smeeag
Replied by smeeag on topic Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool

Correct.
Valerius' effect triggers as soon as he is attempting to block, and lasts until the end of the action (his cardtext is not "while Valerius is attempting to block...", it's a trigger).

Effect triggers as soon as he is attempting to block, but why doesn't it de-trigger when another minion start attempting and Valeruis subsequently not blocking anymore?
Rulebook:
A minion can attempt to block as many times as they wish as long as another minion is not already blocking.

More
11 Mar 2024 13:02 #110873 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Valerius Maior, Hell's Fool

Correct.

Effect triggers as soon as he is attempting to block, but why doesn't it de-trigger when another minion start attempting and Valeruis subsequently not blocking anymore?

Why would it "de-trigger"? The effect is not conditional on the fact that Valerius is currently blocking.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds