file Official CSV file format change

11 Aug 2020 14:09 #100518 by Sambomb
I know its a huge step, but have you tought about change from CSV to a newer format like JSON?
Maybe a API with:
Incremental version of each card ( so we can keep track of changes )
New texts since (date/time / Version code ) so when someone wants to update just bring the new cards
Related rullings so a database can keep track of what rulling affect each card
Translated texts: Someone can make a request to the API to bring the English/Portuguese/Spanish/French/etc version of the cards

With this in mind, many of the cards could start to be linked as a code so when someone needs to know the card in another language they can link it by the code, something like:
[100131] instead of Banishment so it can show for portuguese players as Banimento.

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2020 19:56 #100519 by Ankha

I know its a huge step, but have you tought about change from CSV to a newer format like JSON?

CSV is easier to maintain than a JSON file when it comes to editing. It's easy to convert a CSV file to JSON if you really need one.

Maybe a API with:
Incremental version of each card ( so we can keep track of changes )
New texts since (date/time / Version code ) so when someone wants to update just bring the new cards
Related rullings so a database can keep track of what rulling affect each card
Translated texts: Someone can make a request to the API to bring the English/Portuguese/Spanish/French/etc version of the cards

With this in mind, many of the cards could start to be linked as a code so when someone needs to know the card in another language they can link it by the code, something like:
[100131] instead of Banishment so it can show for portuguese players as Banimento.

This is something else I'm already working on, but recreating the history of each card is a hassle, especially for cards predating the BCP era (even though some sites like vtes.pl do have that kind of information).

Also, I don't have the time to do everything by myself.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
12 Aug 2020 09:09 - 12 Aug 2020 09:23 #100520 by lip
Replied by lip on topic Official CSV file format change
@ Sambomb note the KRCG API (open source and free to use) gives you JSON format of the CSV, with rulings as a bonus. It is dynamically built upon the official CSV, so is always up-to-date. If you need a static file instead, this is possible, do not hesitate to reach out and I'll see to it (or, even better, propose a pull request on KRCG ^_^)

@Ankha if you have files for other languages, I'll be happy to include them to the KRCG API so that, depending on the language header, people could access cards in different languages. That could also be useful for the codex, as the current plan is to translate the whole site, having the card texts in the proper language would be a huge plus.

Also, if I can be of help to compile card text history and integrate that into the API, do not hesitate to each out, I may be able to put in some work on that.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2020 09:23 by lip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Hakuron, kschaefer

More
13 Aug 2020 16:52 #100537 by lip
Replied by lip on topic Official CSV file format change
On a side note, maybe it would be useful to have a "card name" column in the new vtesartist.csv file, not just the card ID.

More
16 Aug 2020 09:01 #100553 by smeeag
I convert CSV to JSON to later use it in vtes-db and my thoughts are:
1) Columns transition to other files and changes in discipline columns (except 'vis' issue as mentioned above) are not important as anyway it's trivial to convert it as you wish (need to modify converter but it is not a big deal).
2) Would be very nice to have bold and newlines indicators for card text.
3) 'Tags' for standard effects (e.g. enter combat, etc) as proposed above by lip would be nice, but probably too much efforts so I dont really expect it. Maybe later during card text updates (not only for CVS but for printing also) it's reasonable to unify text as much as possible, so at least it will be easier (and much more reliable) to parse card text with regexes.
4) It will be great if first release of new CVS will be either without new cards or to be double release i.e. new+old format with same cards. It will let existing tools to be up to date with cards from day-0 and then update to new format.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ankha

More
13 Apr 2021 12:05 - 13 Apr 2021 12:07 #102035 by Ankha
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

A version with the new format is available here for testing: www.vekn.net/images/stories/downloads/vtescsv_utf8_new.zip

Changes:
1/ vtescrypt.csv
1.a/ the Discipline columns (Abombwe, Animalism, Auspex, Celerity, Chimerstry, Daimoinon, Dementation, Dominate, Fortitude, Melpominee, Mytherceria, Necromancy, Obeah, Obfuscate, Obtenebration, Potence, Presence, Protean, Quietus, Sanguinus, Serpentis, Spiritus, Temporis, Thanatosis, Thaumaturgy, Valeren, Vicissitude, Visceratika) have been deleted
1.b/ the Vision trigram is now "viz" to make it different from Visceratika
1.c/ the column names are now enclosed in double quotes

2/ vteslib.csv
2.a/ the "Draft" column has been removed
2.b/ the "Requirement" column has been moved to a new file: vteslibmeta.csv

3/ vteslibmeta.csv
3.a/ this is a new file containing the following columns: "Id","Name","Requirement"
3.b/ the requirements based on capacity have been updated from "capacity above X" to "capacity X+1 or more", "capacity less than X" to "capacity X-1 or less".
3.c/ Some missing requirements have been added (Legacy)

Please note that the artist column has not been moved yet.

The future releases of the csv will follow the above format.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 13 Apr 2021 12:07 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sambomb, lip

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds