file First Strike vs. Strike: Combat Ends

08 Feb 2013 15:41 #45019 by Ankha

Well, anyone can feel free to try First Strke resolving pre-SCE.
Amongst other things I would highly recommend (in a competitive environment):
- Elimelech + Coma
- Muddled Vampire Hunter
- Quick Jab (Basilia, Samantha, Hector & Dogs of War, ..)

But if you do try it, please send me your feedback :)

I'm glad to see that a few people are offering to playtest the possible change. Elimelech + Coma would be devastating, of course, but he is an 11 cap, and Coma does cost 3 blood - and dodge would still beat it. And dodge or prevent would both beat MVH and Quick Jab agg. Elimelech sounds like he would become broken, but I think playtesting - especially where playtesters deliberately start including more dodge cards to adjust to the new meta - would have to determine that.

I'm glad to see there are people having time to playtest so useless changes.
I have also a request: I've always thought that Memories of Mortality shouldn't be playable on a Call the Great Beast. It's a demon. It can't have any memories of when it was human. Can someone playtest that to see if it's balanced?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2013 15:45 #45021 by ReverendRevolver

- Elimelech + Coma
- Muddled Vampire Hunter

I'm glad to see that a few people are offering to playtest the possible change. Elimelech + Coma would be devastating, of course, but he is an 11 cap, and Coma does cost 3 blood - and dodge would still beat it. And dodge or prevent would both beat MVH and Quick Jab agg. Elimelech sounds like he would become broken, but I think playtesting - especially where playtesters deliberately start including more dodge cards to adjust to the new meta - would have to determine that.

Im looking into eleimelech coma along with malks using bow or flamethrower as combat defense with shadow feint, since a solid number have little cel, a more or less useless thing by itsself. But adv quentin king, ruth mcginley, antoine the lost, lord fiona the colonel, lily, artemis, hannibal, and others can shadow feint coma. Its a two card combo costing a total of 4 blood, so i cant see it ever being actually broken. After i talk to other players, i think ill also modify my infinite earth meld to include more form of mist, so dodvy satyrs and henry taylors are used as a acid test against the clear enemy of sce under alternate rules.

More
08 Feb 2013 15:48 #45022 by ReverendRevolver

- Elimelech + Coma
- Muddled Vampire Hunter

I'm glad to see there are people having time to playtest so useless changes.
I have also a request: I've always thought that Memories of Mortality shouldn't be playable on a Call the Great Beast. It's a demon. It can't have any memories of when it was human. Can someone playtest that to see if it's balanced?

Just did at a 6 player table with myself and realized its still not as broken as imbued with it. And its banned. I also started a fistfight with myself for contesting gilbert duane and mariel lady thunder. B-)

More
08 Feb 2013 18:31 #45031 by Dorrinal
Put me firmly in the "eliminate First Strike completely" camp.

:trem:

More
08 Feb 2013 21:06 - 08 Feb 2013 21:13 #45041 by Robert Scythe
I do not see any true problems with having FS resolve before S:CE. It may bring into play cards that never see use and slightly dilute decks that rely solely on S:CE for combat defense. Or not. Combat is combat and having a slight bit more ways around S:CE will not make it easier to win with. Elimelich, and Houghton for that matter, will not be tearing up the scene due to their costs and lack of titles. Ruth, on the other hand, may become a little monster. With affordability, access to KS and Muddles she can become a scary piece to an effective deck. I believe a larger concern will lie with animalism. It's main weakness has been S:CE. With people trying to deal with this newfound threat animalism will find less speed bumps. That, coupled with the extremely more useful Canine Hordes, will find themselves even more threatening without having to change their deck design in any way to deal with this FS insurgence. Otherwise, it could be interesting to see odd and formerly crappy cards like Forearm Block (unless the damage prevention is too late) or Adaptability make their way into decks.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 21:13 by Robert Scythe.

More
08 Feb 2013 21:24 #45045 by Robert Scythe
I looked it up. Forearm Block is still pretty useless.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds