file Tier 1 deck archetypes

16 Jun 2013 05:56 - 16 Jun 2013 08:58 #49862 by kombainas

Enkil Cog (KoT)

It came with 3rd ed. actually.

Ed. sorry, mixed up with something :)

!malk! :OBF: :DEM: :cel: :cap6: Sabbat. If this vampire's bleed is successful, he laughs manicly and untaps.
Last edit: 16 Jun 2013 08:58 by kombainas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2013 06:10 #49863 by D-dennis
Replied by D-dennis on topic Re: Tier 1 deck archetypes

Enkil Cog (KoT)

It came with 3rd ed. actually.

Enkil Cog is definitely from KoT

More
16 Jun 2013 08:04 #49864 by Juggernaut1981

Wall Decks
Characterised by being able to reliably block 2+ actions a turn and grinding down your prey (or the whole table) via permanents with (D) actions built in.

Is this where the Carna/Tremere deck fits? Also, what is !Ventrue Teflon? I've never heard that name for an archetype.

I would definately put most of the Carna Decks here.

Also Jeff Kuta, the deck you described is not the same one I was thinking of but easily fits in as a Wall Deck. Along with some of the other Early Malk decks like many of those featuring Mariel Lady Thunder, Anatole, Maris Streck, Leandro-1st Trad and Rachel Brandywine Earth Meld decks (with or without 3rd Trad breed-bleed or Madness Network + Perfectionist).

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
16 Jun 2013 09:51 #49865 by jhattara
Replied by jhattara on topic Re: Tier 1 deck archetypes

!Ven Teflon would be:
High Intercept, High Obedience, High Deflection and plenty of FOR combat. It's basically a precursor to a Stickman or Grinder deck but tends to have bleed or permableed as their oust module.

So basically the list has 2 grinders of different variety.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

More
16 Jun 2013 11:31 #49867 by Juggernaut1981

!Ven Teflon would be:
High Intercept, High Obedience, High Deflection and plenty of FOR combat. It's basically a precursor to a Stickman or Grinder deck but tends to have bleed or permableed as their oust module.

So basically the list has 2 grinders of different variety.

Well, I know the Teflon because I remember it being one of the semi-reliable !Ventrue decks your could make waaay back in G2-3. I haven't seen many Grinders (especially not like the Euros and US players have been complaining about) in AUS. I've seen the G2 deck also run it's own vote module and oust via votes.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
16 Jun 2013 13:42 #49869 by ICL
Replied by ICL on topic Re: Tier 1 deck archetypes
When I mean tier 1, I mean the few top decks in the current environment. Both parts of that are important.

If you have more than five decks in tier 1, going too far. Not everything is best.

If you don't consider only the current environment, you really lose any meaning to whatever analysis you are trying to do. Best decks of yesteryear were likely best because there was a different cardpool. Imbued were clearly one of the best, if not the best strategy prior to the bannings of Edge Explosion and Memories of Mortality - tournament results are clear on that. But, besides the bannings, that was before a slate of Imbued hosers and just more cards in general for dudes with disciplines. While some newer cards were worth playing by Imbued, the Imbued haven't gotten any new crypt options, Powers, or other Imbued specific cards since NoR.

It's perfectly normal for a deck/strategy to be tier 1 at some point and tier 2 or 3 or awful at some other point. Turbo Stasis? Probably never tier 1 but a metagame answer to what might have been the only tier 1 deck at the time - Necropotence variants. V:TES may not cycle out cards, but cardpools do change. !Ventrue were not strong back in the day and, then, became mighty off the backs of new crypt options - Blackhorse, Owain, et al. Ravnos were pritnear unplayable before Final Nights.

Anyway, the point of tiers is to establish the current metagame. I don't believe tiers are really all that meaningful to this game precisely because there aren't clear 2-4 best decks at any given time. I would say you would have a far better shot at tiering players, i.e. that there are 2-4 best players at a given time rather than 2-4 best decks at a given time.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds