file [Fairyworld] Examining combat cards and strategies and how they should work

22 Jul 2018 14:01 #89189 by JohnP
Perhaps instead of "seeing" majesty coming, a simple rule addition.

"In combat, if opponent plays a card that uses "Strike:Combat Ends", the other minion can shuffle any cards used in that round of combat prior to S:CE, into their library.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2018 15:03 #89192 by LivesByProxy

Perhaps instead of "seeing" majesty coming, a simple rule addition.

"In combat, if opponent plays a card that uses "Strike:Combat Ends", the other minion can shuffle any cards used in that round of combat prior to S:CE, into their library.

I don't think that's a simple rule. That's an oddly specific rule, the kind the game doesn't need more of, IMO.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

More
22 Jul 2018 18:18 #89199 by Lech
Yep, and the rule that show that s:ce isn't well integrated into ruleset.

S:ce is like giving a :dom: card: lock this vampire to burn 2 pool from your prey. It don't integrate well into ruleset and have no counter. Then print cards :reflex: " if you lost pool this turn, reduce the loss by 3 pool and make your prey lose 1 pool.". Sure, counter would exist: would it be good design ? Not at all. But this is exactly what s:ce is.

:laso: :CEL: :DOM: :OBT: :POT: :cap8:
Sabbat.Black Hand Shakar: Lech loathe ranged weapons. Once each action, he may burn 1 blood to become Camarilla Prince of Krakow until the end of the action.

More
23 Jul 2018 12:08 #89225 by Brum

More like Combat is not well integrated into the Ruleset.
It is too far away from the win condition.

Long discussion, I know.

I would over simplify combat and make it actually matter.
Until then, Banishment continues to be the best combat card in the game.

More
23 Jul 2018 13:38 #89229 by skimflux

More like Combat is not well integrated into the Ruleset.
It is too far away from the win condition.

Long discussion, I know.

I would over simplify combat and make it actually matter.
Until then, Banishment continues to be the best combat card in the game.

I would argue that the popularity of Pentex Subversion and Banishment shows that combat is not really 'too far away from the win condition' but rather that it is not as efficient as those more popular cards.

More
23 Jul 2018 19:54 #89252 by TwoRazorReign

I would argue that the popularity of Pentex Subversion and Banishment shows that combat is not really 'too far away from the win condition' but rather that it is not as efficient as those more popular cards.

Saying combat is not really "too far away from the win condition" is like saying stealth is not too far from a win condition in a stealth+bleed deck. Combat, Pentex, and Banishment are really delivery systems for the ousting mechanism, not ousting mechanisms in themselves. The difference between combat/Pentex/Banishment and a delivery system like stealth is that the former have an inherent "make other players lose" condition: removing an opposing player's minions is more likely to make that opposing player lose than ensure yourself a win.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds