question-circle What would you like to see in a new expansion?

16 Sep 2011 11:09 #10349 by Baaliprimogen
1. THEME FOR EXPANSION?
I don't think Theme is to important. On the other hand, I don't want to see vamps based on the Twilight movies. Keep it good old VtM.

2. NEW GAME MECHANICS?
Not now. First flesh out gr. 5/6 vamps. Maybe add to old mechanics. As alot of other players have pointed out: Research, Trophy/redlist, bahari and Aye/Orun should get more cards. At a later date, it would be great to see Disco-Stu's Kuei-jin.

3. NEW CARDS?
As above. And please fix the Ashur/Liq and the Lillith/villain problems.

4. FORMAT AND PRACTICAL STUFF
I would like printed cards. I you could get a company to print on demand. That would be the best. Don't need Booster packs or Starters. I'm not so keen on printable pdfs.

:DAI: :MAL: :STR:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2011 23:23 #10376 by Disco_Stu
Hi Damnans,

1. THEME FOR EXPANSION?
As I think I might have mentioned in another, earlier, post on this topic; the Sabbat currently lag behind the Camarilla in G5, so they’d be an obvious place to start.
An emphasis on Inquisitors and Templars would make for a great way to play up the qualities of the sect without deviating too far from existing cards.
There are a bunch of heretofore-unused characters from Montreal by Night that could be a good place to start; MbN has an emphasis on the Inquisition, plus has plenty of stuff about Infernalism that could play up the growing threat of the infernalism/Baali/Bahari in the metagame and VTES-specific metaplot.

2. NEW GAME MECHANICS?
I think a ‘silver bullet’ to some often-horrible master combos would be a keyword that prevents certain masters from being played with an additional master phase. Let’s call it, I don’t know, ‘Primary’. If Giant’s Blood had the keyword, you could no longer Villein + Giant’s Blood (in that order) in the same master phase. You could even add it to other heavily-abused cards (Pentex Subversion, Liquidation) if the playgroup thought it appropriate. Hell, add it to Villein and all of a sudden people have a reason to play Minion Tap again.
Otherwise, no brand-new game mechanics.

3. NEW CARDS?
G5 Sabbat is, as mentioned, the obvious hole in the existing crypt spread.
Cards giving new effects to the Inquisitor and Templar keywords would be great.
New tricks for the Research Area would be excellent, as that’s a ‘dead zone’ of deck design right now.

4. FORMAT AND PRACTICAL STUFF
If it’s an e-expansion (PDF, etc.), then rarity goes out the window. This is less of a concern for VTES than for other card games due to the fantastically balanced nature of the game, but still something to consider.
One way of getting around this is formalise a ‘substitute’ rule; if you have 10x Undead Strength (say) in your deck, you are allowed to print up 10x Fist of Punchiness (new common potence card) and put them in sleeves with Undead Strength behind them. If you don’t have Undead Strength, no Fist of Punchiness allowed - and tournament Judges are there to check you’re following the substitute rule. Doesn’t matter for commons much, clearly, but this limits the power curve if you want to print Cenkil Og, a new superpowered card that is designed as a rare.

If you’re going for printed cards (my preference, and probably that of everyone here), then let’s go for fixed-card distribution. It’d be almost like a 10th Anniversary tin, just without the tin. If we’re talking about <50 cards here, then that’s one ‘pack’. If we’re saying 200+ cards with half-new, half-reprinted, split it into 3-4 themed packs. This format controls rarity distribution nicely, and allows for bundling of cards into quasi-starters. Starters themselves aren’t really necessary; they’re great for the hobby-store shelf to introduce brand-new players but the point of this set is probably going to be proving to jaded VTES players that the game is indeed alive and well; Earth Melded, not in torpor.

As far as funding, I could imagine that a pre-order payment from players via key, trusted, distributors might be the good way of organising it.

cheers
Disco Stu
Prince of Melbourne, Australia

More
17 Sep 2011 03:02 #10378 by brandonsantacruz

Make solid group 5-6 vamps and I am happy :)

2nded

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
18 Sep 2011 09:20 #10438 by Hakuron
I especially agree with "extrala" and "Izaak"!

In my opinion, the most important thing is to keep the game living out of its own (already existing) mechanics, and to add only carefully something really "new".

:tore:

National Coordinator Germany
nc [dot] germany [at] magenta [dot] de

More
18 Sep 2011 09:38 #10440 by Joscha
I second extrala.
Main point for me:

With respect to library cards, yes, of course, but please don't further dilute the distinctiveness of disciplines.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
18 Sep 2011 16:27 #10449 by Adonai

What would you like to see in a new expansion?

Attention to the source material.
If a card doesn't explicitly come with a reference to a Vampire: The Masquerade source book (page number), then it shouldn't be included in a set.

Pulling card ideas out of your ass just results in shitty cards.

Set the bar high, do not allow cards that don't fit the source to be made.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds