exclamation-circle Guardians of the Faith, a PDF VTES Set by PCK

09 Sep 2012 06:38 #36307 by Joscha

Don't forget thoses fancard are not any more official than the 100+ that were already published.

I think this case is different from the other fan made cards. The problem is that the publishing persons were part of the development team of the official new set. It could be possible they robbed ideas from early stage cards and publish them as their set now. And that again would endanger the success of the new set.

And why? Just because of missing or bad communications in the team and offended sensibilities (wether rightly or not).

As I said: sad and unfortunate.

(Besides I'm a bit emotional on this topic as you can see).

Baron of Frankfurt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2012 07:37 #36308 by Ke.
Where's the artwork?

This looks like an unfinished set rushed out to the public — with circumspect timing.

If you wanted to release a legit fan set — then you should have at least come up with a new theme and / or cards. Who knows it may have eventually been accepted. As it stands, the blatant similarity to earlier rounds of the VEKN set is appalling.

:sick:

The best thing V:TES players can do for V:TES is disregard this set and let it fade into the ether where it belongs...

Ke
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

More
09 Sep 2012 11:53 - 09 Sep 2012 11:53 #36314 by self biased
yeah i'm going to have to agree with Ke. on this. I've got no problems with fansets whatsoever, but if the allegation is true that this particular set is being 'published' as a "fuck you" to the VEKN design team, then that smacks of a wholesale lack of class. I've only viewed the PDF on my phone, but the cards themselves look like they were assembled in MS paint, and the textures are grainy. I won't be able to tell for sure until i get home tonight and get a better look. As someone who's been working on making reasonable quality 300dpi stuff available to people, I'd rather see care and consideration taken to ensure high quality product goes into the hands of the fanbase and not rushed product that has ulterior motives.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2012 11:53 by self biased.

More
09 Sep 2012 12:24 #36316 by Ohlmann

but if the allegation is true that this particular set is being 'published' as a "fuck you" to the VEKN design team, then that smacks of a wholesale lack of class.

To be honest, some people in the VEKN have been a lot less than classy with them. Treat this as a schoolyard disput, with both side being childish.

More
09 Sep 2012 12:36 #36317 by brandonsantacruz

but if the allegation is true that this particular set is being 'published' as a "fuck you" to the VEKN design team, then that smacks of a wholesale lack of class.

To be honest, some people in the VEKN have been a lot less than classy with them. Treat this as a schoolyard disput, with both side being childish.

By slapping a copyright on these cards, the PCK team made it a much bigger problem than they would have otherwise. We're way past the disputes they had as part of the design team; I see this is a broadside against the publishing of VTES.

Don't forget that people involved in the design and playtesting of a set agree to not talk about the process (i.e. cards that didn't make the cut, earlier versions) until way after the set actually comes out.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
09 Sep 2012 15:10 #36324 by direwolf
Personally, I like the concept of having more than one sourse of card designers.

My understanding is that the VEKN set is commissioned by the VEKN organization, but is not designed by the commissioners.

It is a reasonable extension that we could have more than one design team. the PCK set of cards is unsolicited by VEKN. All the VEKN has to do is ignore it. Without VEKN support, a fan-based card set will not see wide enough play.

It doesn't have to be black and white. Right now, it's "tournament legal" or it's illegitimate.

We have the opportunity to experiment with different tournament formats. We can phase cards in though different levels of competative play. We can vet cards in larger playtesting groups in an open system. If we are dealing with a PDF set, we can change text (literally, instead of relying solely on a database of card text migrations.)

Also, about "slapping a copywrite" comment... there is no need to say "copywrite." If you write something and publish it, it has de facto protections. If the material is copywritten by someone else, or you do not have permission for it, then it won't hold up. You will find different kinds of copywrites that allow for different permissions of use, which is what PCK has done. Whether their copywrite will hold up or not is a matter for the lawyerss, I dont' know.

Who can say how much ground a copywrite has if PCK were to contest something with VEKN? I dont' think either party has enough pool to contest.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dude_PL, DeathInABottle, Eius P

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds