exclamation-circle Guardians of the Faith, a PDF VTES Set by PCK

08 Sep 2012 22:18 #36295 by Dorrinal
I'm impressed with your moxie, but not with these cards. They're bland and underpowered. Where is my Parity Shift?

:trem:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2012 03:49 #36299 by brettscho
Wisdom of this move aside (a topic that could be debated in and of itself, and which I won't currently touch upon), why would the release of some fan cards - remember that this is all they currently are - in any way impact the release of official VTES cards? The "Card Idea" forum certainly poses no threat to VTES being reprinted, so why should this?

On the merits of overpowered v underpowered cards, I'd say that its wise for new developers to shoot low and improve as opposed to shoot high and upset the delicate (and already shaky) balance that VTES has. The first leads to wallpaper digital cards (no harm - you won't get any in boosters!), the second leads to bans, drastic edits, etc. Of course, that's also just my opinion.

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:

More
09 Sep 2012 05:30 #36303 by Joscha
That is very, very sad.

I rate this as a direct attack against all efforts made by the VEKN so far to improve the current situation.

It is childish and selfish.

You guys didn't do a favor for anybody, not for you, not for us. Bad move.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
09 Sep 2012 05:58 #36304 by Ohlmann

It is childish and selfish.

Given what have happened before - including the position of VEKN official - it was the thing to do. VEKN have given them the boot less than politely, they do not have to be polite too.

Don't forget thoses fancard are not any more official than the 100+ that were already published. I don't see anything they undermine on the effort of the VEKN, apart from keeping them from becoming official any day, which seem a good thing since nobody have given any praise to them :p

I am not too thrilled by the cards themselves. They are some good idea (vampires receinving a capacity discount because their disciplines does not work together), but they are some formatting problem (the banishment like mainly), and only one of them prompted me to want to do a deck (the 6-cap black hand brujah).

More
09 Sep 2012 06:00 #36305 by hardyrange

These original cards cater to tournament players

I do not understand this statement, unless the cards were tournament legal....

In April, we promised the public we would offer the V:EKN the opportunity to review and sanction the use of our set for tournament play, and in August, we did this.

...so, what was the official result of this move? Are teh cards deemed tournament legal by the V:EKN, or no?

"It was a perfect plan - until it had contact with reality"
---
Hardy Range
Playgroup Tradition Compliance Manager

More
09 Sep 2012 06:38 - 09 Sep 2012 10:30 #36306 by Izaak

Wisdom of this move aside (a topic that could be debated in and of itself, and which I won't currently touch upon), why would the release of some fan cards - remember that this is all they currently are - in any way impact the release of official VTES cards? The "Card Idea" forum certainly poses no threat to VTES being reprinted, so why should this?

Because they are not presented as "card ideas". They are presented as the real deal, with some mocked up copyright intellectual property clause thrown in to add insult to injury.

I'm still not understanding what all the fuss is about. If these were the cards that didn't make the cut and initiated this whole little argument in the design team that eventually caused the "split", I can see why.

Not giving Zarastus at least inferior celerity is a huge mistake. Oblatam should have dom/AUS instead of the other way around. Then there is an 8-cap pander with a bunch of seemingly random disciplines and a sufficiently limited special that he's unplayable. The crypt is mostly all over the place and I'm not seeing the synergy with the existing group 4/5 Sabbat here.

Defending the Warren is useless on a clan that comes with animalism and wouldn't see any play. Many of the political actions are way too restrictive or downright confusing and with every one I was asking myself why I would use them over just another KRC. And why would I even want to slot in Sabbat Intrigue when I can get +1 stealth for pretty much every discipline *without* having to performing one of the, what, 20 eligable actions in the game that meet the requirements.

The only one I kinda like is Faustrecht, but you could just have posted that up as a card idea instead.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2012 10:30 by Izaak.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds