file List of cards to ban

13 Feb 2011 13:23 #1343 by Brum
Replied by Brum on topic Re: List of cards to ban
What you find "not fun", I might find hilarious.

People, really...
Game is crystallized until something remarkable happens.
Play better and do better decks.
Play more.
Deal with your obvious bitterness with the game and drive your efforts in getting new players playing it.

Try to have fun with this game. Don't try to change it.
It's fine.

Cheers!
Tiago
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2011 14:14 #1347 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Re: List of cards to ban

What you find "not fun", I might find hilarious.

People, really...
Game is crystallized until something remarkable happens.
Play better and do better decks.
Play more.
Deal with your obvious bitterness with the game and drive your efforts in getting new players playing it.

Try to have fun with this game. Don't try to change it.
It's fine.

Cheers!
Tiago

I'm having much fun with this game, but it's not a reason not to search improovment. I think it's just an additional reason t search it! :)

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
13 Feb 2011 15:24 #1350 by bakija
Replied by bakija on topic Re: List of cards to ban

Main reasons to put card in this list:
1. card is hard to find
2. card is no braner addition to any deck, which can allow it
3. card's effect is too powerful
4. card slows the game

On some levels, I see where you are coming from. On others, I think this is a misguided list.

1. Lots of cards are hard to find. And I realize that none of the cards that you mention as wanting banned are solely 'cause of them being hard to find. But still, plenty of them are difficult to get ahold of and powerful (see: New Carthage). Which is one of the downfalls of a game built on a CCG model.

2. Fewer cards are no brainers. But a lot of completely innocuous cards are total no brainers.

3. This is one that I have sympathy for. But the bar set is pretty high.

4. Lots of things slow down the game. Ya know what slows down the game infinitely more than any card? People trying to talk their way to victory. If you want to speed up the game? Talk less.

Villein 1,2,3.

Villein is widely discussed. I agree that it is too powerful. I am certainly partially responsible for it being too powerful (I spent most of the playtest process arguing that it should be a trifle, which is the main reason it is too powerful give its current wording). But it is easily tweaked ("a minion may only have 1 Villein") and even if it isn't tweaked, I suspect that your feeling about Villein is vastly overstated. You don't need Villein to compete. You don't need Villein to win tournaments, let alone games. Villein is strong. Villein is too strong. Villein is not remotely necessary.

Giant blood 2,3.

Giant's Blood is already self limiting (only 1 can be played per game).

Jake Washington 1,2.
Heart of Nischteus 1,2,3,4.

Meh. Jake is really good in, like, a couple ally based decks (War Ghoul; Diary?). Jake isn't particularly useful in that many other decks, or at least not more than any number of other masters that could take his slot. The Heart is certainly handy. But unique. Easy to block, steal, or destroy, or contest.

Parity shift 1,2,3.

Oh, I'm totally with you on Parity Shift. It is stupidly overpowered and makes all other votes look pointless.

Govern the unalignet 2,3.

Govern isn't a problem. Dominate is a problem. Unless you are going to completely rebuild Dominate? No point in nerfing Govern.

Pentex subversion 1,2,3.

I don't like Pentex, as it really makes playing certain decks incredibly difficult. But whatever.

Both DI 1,2,4.

Yeah, I really dislike DI too. That some random hack cross table can totally foil your attempt to oust your prey with a DI 'cause he wants to "keep the table balanced" is one of the greatest flaws with the game.

Dreams of the Sphinx 1,2,3.

Ok. This is just stupid.

Ashur tablets 1,4.

Much like Villein, the case for Ashur Tablets is wildly overstated. They are good. But not necessary and not needed in most decks. If you have them, you can build a deck around them and do well. If you don't, you can build a deck without them and do well.

Wash 2,4.

Wait, what? Wash is the solution to most of the cards on this list. And Wash isn't that good (Sudden is generally a better play). And Wash is limited in who it targets. This one seems way out of left field.

Wait a second...Elotar sounds an awful lot like Ector...

More
13 Feb 2011 15:25 #1351 by Adonai
Replied by Adonai on topic Re: List of cards to ban
elotar,

You've missed the point of the argument.
Your proposed bans don't make the game more fun.
Nor do they actually improve strategic game-play.

If you want to ban cards, the tournament rules already allow you do to this, you can prohibit Keepers of Tradition and Heirs to the Blood completely.

See also:
www.vekn.net/index.php/tournament-rules

6.1.1. Set Restrictions

The tournament organizer may limit players to the use of one or more card sets. For example, the tournament organizer may require players to restrict their decks to cards from the Dark Sovereigns and Final Nights card sets. The tournament organizer must advertise any card set restrictions prior to the event. All cards will be required to use the most recent card texts even if the revised card text appears in a set not allowed in the current event. Example: In an event restricted to the use of the V:TES base set, the Master card "Misdirection" would still tap only one minion.

More
13 Feb 2011 16:55 #1356 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: List of cards to ban

Villein is widely discussed. I agree that it is too powerful. I am certainly partially responsible for it being too powerful (I spent most of the playtest process arguing that it should be a trifle, which is the main reason it is too powerful give its current wording).

WHAT? YOU are guilty for that misery :huh: :laugh: ? People, we got him. :woohoo:

Baron of Frankfurt

More
13 Feb 2011 17:13 #1358 by manituan
Replied by manituan on topic Re: List of cards to ban
I wouldn´t ban any card. The game is fine.
I only would change Direct Intervention to 1 per game, like giant´s blood.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds