file What if VTES was rebooted into an incompatible 2.0 version?

01 Apr 2016 21:06 #76191 by GreyB
Soooo back on topic... If VTES was rebooted in an incompatible 2.0 version, would VEKN still be able or willing to release PDF sets for VTES 1.0?

Worst case scenario (depending on view) is that a new fan based organisation will be assembled to release fan based VTES 1.0 sets and govern tournaments, possibly taking over from VEKN. Highly unlikely but not beyond the realm of possibilities.

I'm one of those absolutely not interested in VTES 2.0, so it would be great if VTES 1.0 could still continue on whilst the rest dabble with their VTES 2.0.

:garg: :VIS: :POT: :FOR: :flight: -1 Strength

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2016 03:30 #76196 by Juggernaut1981

...Then we will be all screwed up again, for the same very reason we're screwed now.
Or we fix this issue, or it will last forever.

Yes, but what exactly is "deckmaster license"? If it´s just the Deckmaster-logo on the back of the cards, I guess we can live without it, if people just play sleeves in tournaments (as they already do, if they mix in Jyhad-cards).

Do Hasbro own the Potence Symbol? Do they own the Action Symbol? Do they own the rule book as written? Do they own the card art on Francois/Ur-Shulgi/Sutekh/etc? Do they own the back of the cards? Do they own the Trisnake? Do they own the "Turn Sequence"?

Unless you know exactly what they own, the only way to be sure is to rebuild it from the ground up. Circumvent the problem, or as Bronson said... when the license runs out the game goes into torpor until another license can be negotiated which may be never (as currently seems the case).

Don't get suckered into the Sunk Cost Fallacy, we aren't getting the time we spent playing this game back, we aren't getting back the money we spent on the cards and as/if the player base dwindles in number the perceived value of your cards will dwindle to nothing as well. Euthanase VTES, rebuild it with the features we love but enough novelty that it can't be challenged by Hasbro as being in any way theirs.

Then we get a game in print, that has a backing company for stuff like new cards and maybe prize support which can be out in stores/internet growing a playerbase.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
The following user(s) said Thank You: brettscho

More
02 Apr 2016 10:12 #76199 by Ashur
Oh, this "funny" "discussion" again ...

Do Hasbro own the Potence Symbol? Do they own the Action Symbol? Do they own the rule book as written? Do they own the card art on Francois/Ur-Shulgi/Sutekh/etc? Do they own the back of the cards? Do they own the Trisnake? Do they own the "Turn Sequence"?

No, Hasbro don´t own any of this, to my knowledge. WWP own all IP and the game mechanic patent expired 2015. Do you know anything I don´t, please show some facts. Should there be any legal difficulties, I am sure WWP can sort that out with Hasbro. Or at least there are no reason for VEKN to think otherwise.

Also: Everyone is free to pitch their own WoD-themed card game to WWP, just go ahead, but don´t expect VEKN to support it.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
02 Apr 2016 10:21 #76200 by Ashur

Soooo back on topic... If VTES was rebooted in an incompatible 2.0 version, would VEKN still be able or willing to release PDF sets for VTES 1.0?

Possibly not, depending if White Wolf Publishing feel it interfere with any new WoD games. Their stated aim is to unite all classic WoD into their new "One World of Darkness". This means VEKN (whatever legal body that is?) will not be able to use any WoD IP to produce a gain, certainly if it´s for profit. I would create a "Star Wars CCG - Wars CCG situation" which I´m personally not very interested in.

I also want to clarify that VEKN is a interest organization for VTES specifically. It is not an organization for promoting WoD-based card games in general or anything like that:
"Vampire: Elder Kindred Network™ is the Official V:TES Players' Organization dedicated to the continued health of V:TES. The V:EKN endeavours to help V:TES grow in popularity through the embracing of new players as well as through the support of the existing fans. The V:EKN is the organization responsible for sanctioning and regulating official V:TES tournaments, recording V:TES players' ratings (and rankings)."

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
02 Apr 2016 11:16 - 02 Apr 2016 11:20 #76204 by GreyB

Possibly not, depending if White Wolf Publishing feel it interfere with any new WoD games. Their stated aim is to unite all classic WoD into their new "One World of Darkness". This means VEKN (whatever legal body that is?) will not be able to use any WoD IP to produce a gain, certainly if it´s for profit. I would create a "Star Wars CCG - Wars CCG situation" which I´m personally not very interested in.

I also want to clarify that VEKN is a interest organization for VTES specifically. It is not an organization for promoting WoD-based card games in general or anything like that:
"Vampire: Elder Kindred Network™ is the Official V:TES Players' Organization dedicated to the continued health of V:TES. The V:EKN endeavours to help V:TES grow in popularity through the embracing of new players as well as through the support of the existing fans. The V:EKN is the organization responsible for sanctioning and regulating official V:TES tournaments, recording V:TES players' ratings (and rankings)."

Hmm, thing is, if Paradox opts for an incompatible VTES 2.0, which basically is a new game that looks like VTES 1.0 but is not VTES 1.0, then there's no change to the state of VTES 1.0.

So the next question is twofold. Would Paradox allow VEKN to continue releasing VTES 1.0 PDF sets and if so, would VEKN still be willing to create VTES 1.0 sets and promote VTES 1.0 as it does now. Or will VEKN simply move on to promoting VTES 2.0 and leave VTES 1.0 to rot and die off?

If all answers have a negative outcome, I am sure we could gather a fan based non-profit organisation to keep VTES 1.0 alive and continue releasing fan based sets and promote fan based tournaments. Basically, if VTES 1.0 and VEKN moves to VTES 2.0, we could have a VEKN 2.0 that stays with VTES 1.0 :woohoo:

:garg: :VIS: :POT: :FOR: :flight: -1 Strength
Last edit: 02 Apr 2016 11:20 by GreyB.

More
02 Apr 2016 21:30 - 02 Apr 2016 21:30 #76213 by Bloodartist

Imagine that the game is continued through many several sets during a 5 or 10 year license. then, wizards/hasbro/whatever does not renovate deckmaster license for whatever reason, just like happened before.

Then we will be all screwed up again, for the same very reason we're screwed now.
Or we fix this issue, or it will last forever.

Yes, but what exactly is "deckmaster license"? If it´s just the Deckmaster-logo on the back of the cards, I guess we can live without it, if people just play sleeves in tournaments (as they already do, if they mix in Jyhad-cards).

Can't find out a better source atm, but MTGsalvation has this:

When Magic was first designed, Wizards of the Coast had plans for a series of trading card games. To group these games together, they were all given the name "Deckmaster". Magic, Jyhad (renamed Vampire: the Eternal Struggle), Netrunner and BattleTech were all Deckmaster games. Wizards of the Coast eventually abandoned this method of grouping their trading card games, but the Magic card back is locked so the Deckmaster logo remains.

I guess 'deckmaster' logo is property of wizards of the coast. This would only matter if we wanted to use the old cards in the new game though.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 02 Apr 2016 21:30 by Bloodartist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds