file What if VTES was rebooted into an incompatible 2.0 version?

01 Apr 2016 10:29 #76171 by Lönkka
Based on how the 1st edition moved and how the 2nd edition is now moving I got to say that it has had a VERY strong start, second only the Android Netrunner. Moving about 10x better than the 1st edition was during its last year.

Seeing the data for just one country (Finland) since I'm the buyer for the local distributor...

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: elotar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
01 Apr 2016 11:01 #76176 by Ashur

If the company accepts your idea, you'll have a powerlevel issue between old and new cards. New cards should interest new players so they have to be strong enough to create full new competitive decks and strategies. This leeds to a whole new game, does not it.

I think this can be fixed by creating a new tournament format where only the reboot-reprinted cards would be allowed. Ie, a "modern" and a "classic" format. In this new "modern" format one could choose not to reprint "problematic" cards (for example Direct Intervention etc) and too powerful could be replaced with less powerful ones (for example replace Govern the Unaligned with Scouting Mission) and remove/nerf stuff that creates alot of pool (Villein+Giants Blood, Voter Cap etc.)

It will flop - nobody cares about one more new card game.

Thanks for this interesting point about Russian potential market.

Yes, I also think elotar might be a little bit too regional. But he´s got a point - a new WoD CCG would have to be something really out of the ordinary to attract both old VTES players and new players.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
01 Apr 2016 11:22 - 01 Apr 2016 13:09 #76178 by Ashur
First: The survey was about what the community felt should be done. Some kind of reboot, any kind.

Second, there are two things you have to consider that you don´t seem to consider in this discussion:
1) The new White Wolf Publishing is going for a reboot/restart/refresh of the whole classic oWoD, called "One World of Darkness". Any new/rebooted/refreshed VTES/VTES-like game will have to support their new view of WoD.
2) It is extremelly smart to be able to use all the existing artwork of VTES in a new game.

Also, WWP is ALL FOR keeping the existing communities happy, not provoking nerd rage and badwill. Even though they off course want to earn money (WoD costed a lot to buy!), a CCG is possibly not were they have to do a large part of those earnings. A CCG could just as well serve as a marketing ploy for the brand, while they earn the big money on various computer games, both from Paradox and various licensees.

Personally I´m for a backwards compatible reboot-set with a new tournament format (described here .) Start out with a 5-deck starter box, launched by crowdfunding, well balanced against eachother and with a bunch of "hot" cards (2 Villein/deck, 1 Enkil Cog/box etc), and then continue as a LCG with a new small set every 3 months or something like that (possibly with a subscription model you can tie to the crowdfunding of the starter box). All cards printed after the reboot is playable in beginner-friendly "modern" format, but also backwards compatible.

Last edit: 01 Apr 2016 13:09 by Ashur. Reason: Clarified some.

More
01 Apr 2016 11:26 #76179 by Ashur

then continue as a LCG with a new small set every 3 months or something like that

These first small sets, say 30-50 cards each, could be 1/3 cards brand new cards, 1/3 cards from the VEKN print-sets, and 1/3 "hot" reprints from old VTES.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum

More
01 Apr 2016 13:33 #76180 by Charles_Bronson
The game should be rebooted.

Imagine that the game is continued through many several sets during a 5 or 10 year license. then, wizards/hasbro/whatever does not renovate deckmaster license for whatever reason, just like happened before.

Then we will be all screwed up again, for the same very reason we're screwed now.
Or we fix this issue, or it will last forever.

I am death.
Paul Kersey, Death Wish
:vent::THA::QUI::FOR::dom::obf::cap9:

More
01 Apr 2016 14:36 #76183 by Ashur

Imagine that the game is continued through many several sets during a 5 or 10 year license. then, wizards/hasbro/whatever does not renovate deckmaster license for whatever reason, just like happened before.

Then we will be all screwed up again, for the same very reason we're screwed now.
Or we fix this issue, or it will last forever.

Yes, but what exactly is "deckmaster license"? If it´s just the Deckmaster-logo on the back of the cards, I guess we can live without it, if people just play sleeves in tournaments (as they already do, if they mix in Jyhad-cards).

The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles_Bronson

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds