file What if VTES was rebooted into an incompatible 2.0 version?

03 Mar 2016 12:01 #75691 by alek
If new vtes would be incompatible with old cards than big part of current playerbase wouldn't play it. They would probably play old vtes for a while but with less players than now (some of old players would switch to new vtes) they would stop playing vtes at all soon.
This is clearly visible in the polls, it's what I and many of my friends feel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, talonz, porphyrion, Ylly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2016 14:47 #75694 by Ylly
@alek I´ll second that.

More
04 Mar 2016 04:47 #75711 by Juggernaut1981
What I find interesting about both Ylly and Alek's comment is this...

Why was it that we specifically got a Survey about a reboot?
I suspect that it is precisely what we will see.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
31 Mar 2016 07:36 - 31 Mar 2016 07:38 #76131 by Bloodartist

If new vtes would be incompatible with old cards than big part of current playerbase wouldn't play it. They would probably play old vtes for a while but with less players than now (some of old players would switch to new vtes) they would stop playing vtes at all soon.
This is clearly visible in the polls, it's what I and many of my friends feel.

I think there is a precedent with the game of thrones LCG. It was rebooted into an incompatible second edition version (last summer ?) with only slightly different rules (basically superfluous stuff was removed and rules were streamlined... pretty much what were hoping to do with VTES, right?).

The original GoT LCG launched in 2002 and its cardpool had been getting large and unwieldy. Before second edition general consensus seemed to be that veteran players would not make the switch because they had invested so heavily into the old version in the past and their cards would be useless in the new version.

However, this didn't turn out to be so, players DID make the switch and the second edition seems to be thriving. Ultimately, we are all playing for fun and our hobby will always require money.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 07:38 by Bloodartist.

More
31 Mar 2016 09:01 #76134 by Lönkka
Of course it thrives at the moment, new version of the game with just a few expansions.

Wait for a year or so when there has been a pile of expansions released. The numbers will start declining.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
31 Mar 2016 12:10 #76135 by Brum
A complete reboot with 0% compatibility is not a good idea because the current group of players is not negligible.
They want to make money and ignoring a group of people that already is faithful to the game is stupid.
Yet, we cannot hold the game hostage.
I think it is unlikely they will allow for 100% of our cards to be legal and 100% of the rules/rulings be the same.

What I'm afraid the most in the 0% compatibility scenario is this:
The new owner of the WoD might stop us from using their IP like we are doing on the grounds that we are stopping people from buying their new game.
So the option to continue to build new expansions might not be there if they do a full reboot.

So I guess what I'm saying is that we should be ready for one of two scenarios:
-Nothing happens, we continue as is.
-Paradox, Wizards and/or someone else agree on a relaunch that will NOT be 100% the same, with less cards and with simpler rules.

Any 0%/100% scenario is not beneficial for anyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds