lightbulb Crypt card redesign

09 Sep 2016 08:22 #78192 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign

Flavour text is not an unnesesary information, it's the way to make boring cards (like most vampires without abilities) into something interesting.

I'd really, really, really rather not have flavour text on 'empty' vampires. Borrowing quotes from (out of copyright) published works is a pain in the ass, and coming up with something interesting, unique or witty for each empty vampire to say is just going to get dull. In particular, there are a lot of empty vampires who are small-medium and generally won't be interesting vampires in the grand scheme of things - not big enough to have a fun special ability, but not hamstrung with a disability. Just some 3 cap with 2 disciplines, or whatever. That's going to get nauseatingly dull, fast.

Things is, the vampires who might have interesting flavour text potential are pretty much going to be the ones who already have very full text boxes. Arika? Anson? Count Germaine? Xipe Totec? Cyble? Enkidu? Saulot? I'd probably be interesting in reading some flavour text relating to them - but their textboxes are usually pretty full.

+1

To be fair out of interesting vampires that have no special abilities are:
-Black Wallace (6 cap)
-Lord Vauxhall (7 cap)
-Don Cerro (7 cap)

So, because interesting vampire can't have flavortext, none shall have it ?
What kind of argument is that ? :huh:

Besides, there's no need, for long quote. Look at what was done on Android : Netrunner .
Few words are all it takes to give some card a little more interest.

And even if you don't like flavortext, it's not like we are removing anything from the card to put them...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2016 08:55 - 09 Sep 2016 08:58 #78195 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Crypt card redesign
I'm against flavor text on vampires.

In order to add flavor text that isn't disrupting:
1/ you must have some card text. If there isn't any cardtext and only flavor text, players are misguided in thinking the vampire has some special text.
2/ The card text must not be too long, otherwise it reduces the size font which makes the card harder to read
3/ vampire text box isn't large enough to accomodate card text and flavor text, and the card text must use a much space as possible not to be written too small.

So the only cases where I consider flavor text to be acceptable is when you have some card text that is a few lines long, and flavor text that is shorter (a sentence for instance). And that would happen only on library cards.

Also, I think you learn more about vampire background on library cards since there are a lot more of them (for instance, you could have three flavor texts about Enkidu describing it better than one short piece on his card).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 09 Sep 2016 08:58 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
09 Sep 2016 09:52 #78196 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Crypt card redesign

1/ If there isn't any cardtext and only flavor text, players are misguided in thinking the vampire has some special text.

It's a lie. If you are using different italized font for FT nobody will confuse it with rules text.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
09 Sep 2016 09:57 #78197 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Crypt card redesign

The artwork in your example is landscape — hence the large amount of spare space.

www.vekn.net/forum/generic-v-tes-discussion/75121-crypt-card-redesign?start=96

I much rather have more space for artwork than a large block of confusing noisy random text.

You are not making cards for yourself. There are large number of people who think otherwise and is just plain wrong to ignore them when in costs you nothing (you got empty text box).

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
09 Sep 2016 16:21 #78199 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Crypt card redesign

If the card is not interesting than it's a bad card.

A card can be interesting from the point of a Methuselah building a deck, without the underlying vampire having anything remotely notable, interesting or unique about the vampire's personality.

Flavour text is essential on some random 3-cap dork, not so much on something like Morel.

If flavour text is essential on vampires, could you explain how V:TES has managed to survive 20 years without it? I do not think "essential" means what you think it means.

You obviously don't use quotes from random books and you don't need something "witty".

I would note that I said: " something interesting, unique or witty". Something could be interesting, but not witty. It could be unique, but not witty.

Take mtg cards as an example - in some sets they use it too tell the story (combining all cards), in some - to introduce the setting, in some - to add theme.

And it's about as deep and satisfying as trying to write a story on Twitter. My experience of such card text is that, by and large, it's dreadful doggerel, devoid of merit.

Each vampire is unique personality.

I think you mean "I want each vampire to be a unique personality", which is a very different thing.

I would much rather the Design Team created vampires that filled play needs, rather than having to worry about whether this Ventrue antitribu is distinct in personality, motivation, goals, and background from this other Ventrue antitribu that already exists.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Ke.

More
09 Sep 2016 18:23 #78200 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Crypt card redesign

You are not making cards for yourself. There are large number of people who think otherwise and is just plain wrong to ignore them when in costs you nothing (you got empty text box).

You (and your friends that that agree with you) do not represent "large number of people" either. And it is plain wrong to push your opinion by claiming that you are the spokesperson for a big majority.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ke.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds