lightbulb Crypt card redesign

13 Sep 2016 10:25 #78234 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Crypt card redesign

*titter*

OK, i understand, that discussion with you is pointless.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2016 13:08 #78236 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign

By the way, if everibody have forgotten, the topic of flavour text was raised because Ke was having empty boxes, so he started to feel them with illogical positioning of sect name and duplicating clan icon with written clan name.

When I first suggested flavor text on vampire, it was, indeed, to solve the issue when a vampire would have an empty "white box".

That said, since the latest layout seems to be consensual (with the black box dedicated to clan name and group only), the need for it is no more.

Though I'm firmly in favor of flavor text on crypt card, I don't think this debate is gonna be very productive. Mainly because, in the end, it's only a matter of personal taste.

So shouldn't we focus on more technical problem ? ( Like some Imbued cards for instance ... B) )

More
13 Sep 2016 15:13 #78237 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Crypt card redesign
or we could just pretend they don't exist. :p

More
14 Sep 2016 09:07 #78244 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Crypt card redesign

By the way, if everibody have forgotten, the topic of flavour text was raised because Ke was having empty boxes, so he started to feel them with illogical positioning of sect name and duplicating clan icon with written clan name.

When I first suggested flavor text on vampire, it was, indeed, to solve the issue when a vampire would have an empty "white box".

That said, since the latest layout seems to be consensual (with the black box dedicated to clan name and group only), the need for it is no more.

I'm not consenting to it at all. It still does not address the fundamental problems with the crypt text templating and instead creates additional problems.

New crypt text templating proposal:

Single, white text box
Fixed-size text box
Bold, before colon: Sect, title
Not-bold, after colon: Special rules
Bold, after not-bold special rules: keywords, terms, attributes

For example:

Sabbat: If Kazimir blocks an action, he gets an optional press in the resulting combat. Black Hand Seraph.

More
14 Sep 2016 12:36 #78255 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign

I'm not consenting to it at all. It still does not address the fundamental problems with the crypt text templating and instead creates additional problems.

Single, white text box
Fixed-size text box

For example:

Sabbat: If Kazimir blocks an action, he gets an optional press in the resulting combat. Black Hand Seraph.

Well, to be honest, with all the rant about flavor text, I'm not sure to remember what are those problems. :oops:

Anyway, first, I suggest that we all stick to the same vampire for the sake of better comparison.
In my opinion, Jamal is a great candidate since he has everything : title, multiple traits, "+X" bonus and special rules.

That said, I have 2 remarks about your latest proposal.
1) I don't see why it should be exclusive of a black box dedicated only to clan name and grouping ?
2) sorry to say it like that but where is that an improvement of the current pattern ? :unsure: You are creating all this shenanigans about "bold before / bold after", whereas there's no need to separate those keyword.

What's wrong with :

{Black box} Assamite. Group 5
Independent. 2 votes (titled). Blood cursed. Redlist : Jamal gets +1 strength in combat with allies and Camarilla vampires. +1 bleed.

Or in your case :

{Black box} Tzimisce. Group 3
Sabbat. Black Hand. Seraph : If Kazimir blocks an action, he gets an optional press in the resulting combat.

More
14 Sep 2016 12:56 - 14 Sep 2016 20:43 #78257 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Crypt card redesign

Single, white text box
Fixed-size text box

For example:

Well, to be honest, with all the rant about flavor text, I'm not sure to remember what are those problems. :oops:

Anyway, first, I suggest that we all stick to the same vampire for the sake of better comparison.
In my opinion, Jamal is a great candidate since he has everything : title, multiple traits, "+X" bonus and special rules.

I'm happy to see plenty of examples so we potentially catch outliers. :)

That said, I have 2 remarks about your latest proposal.
1) I don't see why it should be exclusive of a black box dedicated only to clan name and grouping ?

Because there's no need to display the clan information in two different places on the card. The only reason why Ke included the clan name in the black box is because he realized that the black box could potentially be empty. The clan information is already displayed via the clan icon, so get rid of the black box and the need to fill it is gone.

2) sorry to say it like that but where is that an improvement of the current pattern ? :unsure: You are creating all this shenanigans about "bold before / bold after", whereas there's no need to separate those keyword.

What's wrong with :

{Black box} Assamite. Group 5
Independent. 2 votes (titled). Blood cursed. Redlist : Jamal gets +1 strength in combat with allies and Camarilla vampires. +1 bleed.

That idea was already discussed internally by the Rules Team and rejected more than a year ago. The issue is clarity. Bold text is used to highlight and distinguish certain items. In a string of bold text, that aspect gets somewhat lost.

What Ke is attempting to do with his two-box layout proposal is the same idea - highlighting and distinguishing certain items. You can modify your question to ask, "Why doesn't all sect, title, keyword, term, and attribute information go in the black box?" The answer is the same: to preserve the distinction and clarity of specific items.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2016 20:43 by BenPeal.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds