file Caitiff, the Puzzling

17 Apr 2012 16:06 - 17 Apr 2012 16:11 #28089 by Izaak
Replied by Izaak on topic Re: Caitiff, the Puzzling
I fail to see how super annoying confusing effects that require multiple rulings and/or clarifications and that even veterans have questions about are good for a competitive game.

Especially if the actual impact of those rulings have close to zero effect on the actual game and just seem to be there because LSJ said so.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2012 16:11 by Izaak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2012 17:51 #28091 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: Caitiff, the Puzzling

Especially if the actual impact of those rulings have close to zero effect on the actual game and just seem to be there because LSJ said so.

I would substitute "because LSJ say so" by the slightly (but still not impressing) "because it make sense with the lore". Still, a dose of abstraction can be good.

More
17 Apr 2012 18:16 #28093 by Surreal
Replied by Surreal on topic Re: Caitiff, the Puzzling

I fail to see how super annoying confusing effects that require multiple rulings and/or clarifications and that even veterans have questions about are good for a competitive game.

I think that there are lot of good examples of bad card/game design in Vtes. But also I feel there really isn't anything to do about it.

More
17 Apr 2012 21:28 #28103 by Azel
Replied by Azel on topic Re: Caitiff, the Puzzling
VTES is a competitive game? Those usually offer huge prize purses. Or is it just chafing due to us all (even our poor judges) dancing to a Methuselah's tune? Ahh, how appropriately vampiric -- inexplicable, intractable, immutable. Quick, someone get me a calla lily, I'm about to swoon!

More
18 Apr 2012 15:08 #28128 by Malcolm Sprye
@Surreal: The difference between the confusing Caitiff mechanics and the confusing Pricii mechanics is that the Pricii mechanics are in the rules. Sure, there are things that needed to be clarified, but nothing too major.

The whole thing with Caitiff being a trait as opposed to a clan BUT STILL transmitting to babies as if it were a clan is not in the rule book. Black hand is a trait too... are babies made by Black Hand vampires automatically Black Hand? I don't think so. If you put a line in the rulebook that said that traits transmit to babies, that would work, and be consistent. Of course, that might raise game balance issues, but it would be consistent within the rules.

@Izaak: I agree. Even ignoring the competitive aspects of the game, random exceptions like this add to the perceived learning curve for newcomers to the game. Even if the case won't come up too often, it adds to the feeling of arcane knowledge needed to get started.

More
18 Apr 2012 16:09 - 18 Apr 2012 16:22 #28131 by Megabaja
Replied by Megabaja on topic Re: Caitiff, the Puzzling
Malcolm if you read the thread I posted above, you would see that these rules were all made up without a thought about consistency.
No point going back again, just accept the ruling. :(

EDIT: I was curious about transferring Caitiff trait too... and apparently if you create Thin blooded seer with camarilla vampire it is clanless camarilla vampire that is not a Caitiff, as Caitiff and clanless are not synonyms ( although next to a term Caitiff in paper rulebook stands "technically clanless" - whatever that meant). How this Caitiff "trait" is transferred when Mukhtar Bey creates Third tradition: progeny still confuses me...

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

:trub:
Last edit: 18 Apr 2012 16:22 by Megabaja.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds