file Caitiff, the Puzzling

17 Apr 2012 03:52 #28042 by Malcolm Sprye
Well, since Caitiff are clanless, as printed, those cards would put clanless vampires into play. They wouldn't have the caitiff keyword though. They would be vanilla clanless vampires, same as Shock Troops.

Please understand, I'm not advocating this, I'm just saying that it would keep the system consistent. Honestly, I think it's pretty dumb that they made Caitiff a special case to begin with. It may have made sense, flavor wise, but in terms of the system, it requires extra rules and rulings, none of which are evident just from looking at the cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Megabaja

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2012 04:44 #28045 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Caitiff, the Puzzling

It may have made sense, flavor wise, but in terms of the system, it requires extra rules and rulings, none of which are evident just from looking at the cards.

Well, when VTES was created, the flavor idea was very important. Creating a special rule for Caitiff is not a problem.
It's like the French language: we like it because it has a lot of exceptions to the rule. ;)

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
17 Apr 2012 04:46 #28046 by Azel
Replied by Azel on topic Re: Caitiff, the Puzzling
Gawd, I love this game's esoteric logic! Everything's delightfully complicated and weighed with precedent! It's one of the reasons I still play -- it's confusing; tables occasionally break out into legal rulings and canon exposition.
B)

More
17 Apr 2012 05:18 #28047 by Pascal Bertrand

1) Caitiff is a trait, not a clan. LSJ 11-21-2005

2) Not all clanless vampires have the Caitiff trait. LSJ 11-21-2005

3) New vampires sired by Caitiff are Caitff, by ruling. (Embrace, Third Tradition, etc.) LSJ 12-28-2001 and LSJ 01-02-2002

Correct on all counts.

More
17 Apr 2012 15:35 #28086 by Megabaja
Replied by Megabaja on topic Re: Caitiff, the Puzzling
I was arguing very similar standpoint with LSJ a few years ago. It ended, in short, as juggernaut explained. LSJ said so.

Here it is:
forums.white-wolf.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=22762

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

:trub:

More
17 Apr 2012 15:43 #28087 by Surreal
Replied by Surreal on topic Re: Caitiff, the Puzzling

Well, when VTES was created, the flavor idea was very important. Creating a special rule for Caitiff is not a problem.
It's like the French language: we like it because it has a lot of exceptions to the rule. ;)

Yea I agree with this :P . Same thing is The Prisci Block. Adds super little for the game but even experienced players can have questions about it. Another good example is Mask of a Thousand Faces.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds