file Guide and Mentor - Perfectionist

18 Jun 2013 05:21 #49974 by Juggernaut1981

[LSJ 20080506] Bima can play Govern + Conditioning, causing the target of the bleed to burn 5 pool (and Bima to burn).

I have not problem with this. The bleed resolves immediately, not concurrently, to the cost. It was unblocked, successfully paid for (i.e. a full cost was paid) so the action is resolved in full immediately (NOT concurrently).

[LSJ 20080512] Bima actually burns *after* the bleed is resolved, and after the VP and 6pool were earned.

This is the sort of thing I have an objection to. The effect of paying the last life should basically 'end' the Bima.

IANLSJ BUT... I would have wanted the rulings to have been.

1) Bima takes an action, and after the action is unblocked, it pays for the cost of a card (i.e. Govern the Unaligned)

2) The Bima burns when it has 0 life.

3) The successful action is resolved immediately after the costs are paid (i.e. there is no window for other cards to be played to affect the resolution of the action).

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2013 05:38 - 18 Jun 2013 05:40 #49975 by Ankha
There's no reason why Bima would burn before the action has fully resolved.
You can swap 2 and 3 in the sequence you give.
The reason would be: resolving the action is canonical: cost is paid, effect applied all together. Then some state-based things happen, such as an ally with no life burns.

With your sequence, playing Eternals of Sirius while at 4 pool would be impossible:
1/ play Eternal of Sirius and pay the cost
2/ oh my... you're at 0 pool and ousted.

We all know that the correct sequence is:
1/ play Eternal of Sirius and pay the cost
2/ apply the effect: gain 5 pool
3/ check your pool total: 5. You're not ousted.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 18 Jun 2013 05:40 by Ankha.

More
18 Jun 2013 06:32 #49978 by Juggernaut1981
@Ankha:
Yes, because pool total I think should be a constant-check, not a 'resolution only' check. Even though that is not the way LSJ has ruled. It's because I always read the rule, even in the CRR to be "Pay for action/card and then once paid nothing can stop its resolution occurring" and not "Pay for action/card and concurrently resolve it". It's all about a dispute on the meaning of "immediate". Immediate != concurrent. Immediate = without pause for other things.

So yes, if you are 4 pool, I think you should die when you play Eternals of Sirius to gain 5 pool. (Since your pool total reaches 0 when you pay the cost and then when the card attempts to resolve it finds you missing from the table and sends the pool to the blood bank)

More
18 Jun 2013 06:56 #49979 by Ohlmann

So yes, if you are 4 pool, I think you should die when you play Eternals of Sirius to gain 5 pool. (Since your pool total reaches 0 when you pay the cost and then when the card attempts to resolve it finds you missing from the table and sends the pool to the blood bank)

But it don't work like that in VtES, and it don't work like that on other TCG either. And I don't believe this to be intuitive either.

More
18 Jun 2013 08:17 - 18 Jun 2013 08:18 #49982 by Juggernaut1981
Ohlmann,
Again, it is about how you read the word "immediate". How other CCG/TCGs work is irrelevant to how VTES is played. This is like complaining that D&D is not WoW and not VtM just because they are all 'RPGs'.

IN VTES...
IF the word "immediate" is taken to mean "cannot be prevented from occurring" then once the cost is fully paid, the cards effects will be resolved. BUT that does not mean that there cannot be a point where the player reaches 0 pool in the meantime and thereby result in them being ousted. The effects of the card would then resolve attempting to give an ousted player pool, which results in the card putting blood into the blood bank (since that is where all undelivered blood and pool counters go).

The previous LSJ rulings have construed the word "immediate" to be a synonym for "concurrent". Consequently many of these cost-type issues have arisen in the past (and will not doubt continue in the future).

Yes, it is a difference in basically Semantics. But if the rules (the CRR since the Rulebook mentions nothing about the windows available other than 'if paid it will occur) were meant to be 'concurrently pay cost and resolve their effects' then why was that wording used instead of 'immediately'?

Last edit: 18 Jun 2013 08:18 by Juggernaut1981.

More
18 Jun 2013 08:27 #49983 by Ohlmann

Ohlmann,
Again, it is about how you read the word "immediate".

Yes. You read it another way than the intended one, and you complain you're not heard.

How other CCG/TCGs work is irrelevant to how VTES is played. This is like complaining that D&D is not WoW and not VtM just because they are all 'RPGs'.

Luckily I didn't do that.

I was pointing out that the way VtES work in regard to resolution, player ousting, ally destruction, and everything, is currently the same as magic, who have rules that work, so it's not stupid at all.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds