file Marthe Dizier and retimed Psyche!

04 May 2015 11:14 #70906 by TwoRazorReign
Thanks for providing those rulings. I am clear on the mechanics behind how Psyche! works. The issue is that there is a fundamental flaw with the text on Psyche!. The text as currently stated could be interpreted as skipping step F in the complete rules reference under "VI. HOW TO RESOLVE A COMBAT." (the first post in this thread is an example of this interpretation). The flaw can easily be fixed by explicitly stating that combat ends.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2015 19:40 #70913 by Ke.

The text as currently stated could be interpreted as skipping step F in the complete rules reference under "VI. HOW TO RESOLVE A COMBAT." (the first post in this thread is an example of this interpretation). The flaw can easily be fixed by explicitly stating that combat ends.

"After this round, begin another combat with the opposing minion." doesn't imply that step F is skipped or skipped to. Adding "combat ends" to the card text would just add to the confusion as the current behaviour of "combat ends" skips to the end of the round (step E) which is the step Psyche is played in!

Asides from that, as others have pointed out the text would be irrelevant as combat is about to end anyway due to the next step "Combat Ends." (F).

More
04 May 2015 22:48 #70918 by TwoRazorReign

The text as currently stated could be interpreted as skipping step F in the complete rules reference under "VI. HOW TO RESOLVE A COMBAT." (the first post in this thread is an example of this interpretation). The flaw can easily be fixed by explicitly stating that combat ends.

"After this round, begin another combat with the opposing minion." doesn't imply that step F is skipped or skipped to. Adding "combat ends" to the card text would just add to the confusion as the current behaviour of "combat ends" skips to the end of the round (step E) which is the step Psyche is played in!

Asides from that, as others have pointed out the text would be irrelevant as combat is about to end anyway due to the next step "Combat Ends." (F).

Point taken. And I would argue that "After this round, combat ends, and begin another combat" is much clearer about what is supposed to happen next than the current card text.

More
12 May 2015 21:51 #71054 by Pascal Bertrand

Point taken. And I would argue that "After this round, combat ends, and begin another combat" is much clearer about what is supposed to happen next than the current card text.

But that would invalid the current ruling that you can play TT after Psyche!, and having it cause a new round of the same combat (you would have two contradictory effets after this round).

More
13 May 2015 11:12 - 13 May 2015 11:13 #71061 by TwoRazorReign

But that would invalid the current ruling that you can play TT after Psyche!, and having it cause a new round of the same combat (you would have two contradictory effets after this round).

Thanks for the response. I still think it would be fine to include "combat ends" on Psyche! I think that ruling you cite is making the interaction between these two cards needlessly complicated. They interact just fine by the rulebook. Let's say two methuselahs are in combat. Methuselah 1 plays Psyche!, which says that combat ends. Using the impulse rules outlined in the rulebook, the opposing methuselah plays Telepathic Tracking, which clearly states that combat does not end. In this situation, Telepathic tracking simply trumps Psyche! instead of contradicting it. And Psyche! would trump Telepathic Tracking if Telepathic Tracking was played first. This seems like a clean way to have these cards interact.
Last edit: 13 May 2015 11:13 by TwoRazorReign.

More
13 May 2015 21:09 #71082 by Ke.

I still think it would be fine to include "combat ends" on Psyche! I think that ruling you cite is making the interaction between these two cards needlessly complicated. They interact just fine by the rulebook.

But combat cards can only be played in combat. So your definitive "Combat Ends Right Now" bit of text would actually prevent telepathic tracking from being played.

I think the ruling that combat cards must be played in combat and the tweak to when Psyche is played resolved most of these issues. It's much clearer now that it was.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds