question-circle What should be done with Reversal of Fortune?

08 Apr 2012 17:56 - 08 Apr 2012 18:01 #27463 by Ankha
The culprit:

Name: Reversal of Fortunes
Cardtype: Political Action
Successful referendum means direction of play is reversed. Prey is still to the left, however.

Typically a magic-like card that has no big impact on the game and can serve in some few decks:
- a Milicent Smith deck
- a Barrenness / Scourge of the Enochians deck

But of course, it's not really what I want to talk about.

The big problem (IMHO) is Madness / Reversal* decks. It's a very technical deck to build and play but that disrupts the whole game to its very core.
Either it works and 3 players sit down doing nothing while the deck wins;
Either it works but the player has no choice to propose some king making to his prey because otherwise the Madness/Reversal would lose;
Or it doesn't work and it's a free VP for his predator as the whole table teams up against it.

Playing alone with no interaction from the other players is not the spirit of VTES. (You could add Turbo Una to the list, but it's worth another topic.)
As a side note, it's very difficult to play and usually doesn't win tournaments. But it shows up from times to times and cripples the game experience.

Some possible suggestions:
- ban the card.
- limit it to "twice per game" (rather than "once per game", to cover the 0.0001% possibility that two players plays it. "Twice" would give the possibility to switch back to the normal order.)

Please share your opinions.

*for those who don't know what I'm talking about: www.thelasombra.com/decks/twd.htm#2k9battlefrenzypf
Basically, with some Malkavians under Madness Network, call Reversal of Fortune during your turn and your prey (or predator's) turn so only 2 players play. Accumulate some counters on the Smiling Jack, then stop calling the votes when you have enough counters to watch the table die.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 08 Apr 2012 18:01 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2012 18:13 #27464 by Klaital
I don't really think its big enough problem to need anything done, its just a silly gimmick deck that loses more than wins. Frankly, during the ten or so years I have played the game, I have never seen that card played.

More
08 Apr 2012 18:20 - 08 Apr 2012 18:30 #27465 by Surreal
I also think it is just a silly gimmick. But problem comes when player tries to build deck focused on that card. You can't force players not to use bad and lame decks. Usually it doesn't matter when players play bad deck but it is different thing with Reversal of Fortunes. I would just ban it because it messes the basics of the game. It is only used bad decks that can disturb the whole game anyway so it is not big loss.

EDIT
Reversal of Fortunes usually loses totally most of time so that is not the point. Problem is it can mess the whole table and I feel Reversal of Fortunes deck is against what kind of game Vtes should be like.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2012 18:30 by Surreal.

More
09 Apr 2012 04:04 #27476 by Boris The Blade

The big problem (IMHO) is Madness / Reversal* decks. It's a very technical deck to build and play but that disrupts the whole game to its very core.
Either it works and 3 players sit down doing nothing while the deck wins;
Either it works but the player has no choice to propose some king making to his prey because otherwise the Madness/Reversal would lose;
Or it doesn't work and it's a free VP for his predator as the whole table teams up against it.

That is not different from any turbo deck, and as you said it performs much worse than Una. I don't think it requires any change.

And free VPs happen. The only other option is to ban bad players from tournaments, and I for sure don't want to be banned from tournaments :laugh:

More
09 Apr 2012 05:41 #27477 by Poci
Only played once against it, when it won the table. Embarassing, and easy to let it accidentaly slip out of control (especially in big-cap heavy meta), and then it usually wins the table. I hate the deck, but definitely against banning because of the rare appearance.

More
09 Apr 2012 06:01 #27479 by Ashur
The card breaks the game. Ban is ok with me.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds