file Harbingers of Skulls Strengths But Mostly Weaknesses

14 Oct 2012 05:14 #39061 by Ashur

Ashur: Quite right, the library cards from HttB are awful. At least the vampires are good. I've identified a few areas where they can improve in the original post. What do you think? What do you see as their strengths and weaknesses? And what kind of cards would you have put into HttB instead?

I agree with your analysis, and now AaronC has answered in a way that I was going too. Get creative with the HoS lore of VtM and the Mortis discipline and bouncing those ideas against the strenghts and weaknesses in your original post would be the right way to go (I will try to look into this later)

And in hindsight, just making those two crappy cards in HttB a bit better would have been nice. And no Johannes, I haven´t been playtesting with LSJ - that man is a riddle to me - so much brilliance, and yet so much crap.

Another obvious way is to spin more on the milling tech and the ash heap-depending stuff of the HoS. Ie cards like Trochomancy, but for other effects. Gain stuff by removing cards from preys ash heap (also limits Ashurs, Anthelios, Sudario, Imbueds etc) or maybe gain stuff depending on preys ash heap size/what cards are in it.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2012 06:18 #39063 by direwolf
What about making cards for their disciplines that have added effect for Harbingers of Skulls?

"Aire of Damnation"
:modifier:
1 :blood:
:nec: +1 stealth or +2 stealth on an action to put a wraith or zombie into play.
:NEC: +1 bleed. +3 bleed if this vampire is a Harbingers of Skills. You cannot play another action modifier to increase this bleed amount.

"Valley of Death"
:action:
:nec: Bleed at +1 bleed. +2 bleed if this vampire is a Harbinger of Skulls.
:NEC: Move 2 blood to a vampire with necromancy in your uncontrolled region. Move 4 blood if the target vampire is a Harbinger of Skulls.

"Weather the Storm"
:combat: :reaction:
:for: :combat: Prevent all non-strike damage this round of combat. If this vampire is a Harbinger of Skull, he may also burn a blood to prevent all damage from a strike as well.
:FOR: :reaction: Only usable during an action directed at you or something you control. This vampire may attempt to block or play reactions as if untapped. If this vampire is a Harbinger of Skulls, he or she untaps.

"Eye Mill You"
:reaction:
:aus: +2 intercept against a younger vampire or ally. If this vampire is a Harbinger of Skulls, burn two cards from the acting minion's library if the block is successful.
:AUS: As above, but usable against a vampire the same age or older. If this vampire is a Harbinger of Skulls, reduce the cost of this card by 1 blood.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dorrinal, Reyda

More
14 Oct 2012 06:30 #39065 by Haze

What about making cards for their disciplines that have added effect for Harbingers of Skulls?

good idea. makes me wonder why after Aire of Elation, no other similar cards were made with specific clan bonuses
(maybe there's a few, but none of them stick in my mind so they probably weren't that great)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyda

More
15 Oct 2012 06:15 #39121 by Tomas
Mental Maze, Baltimore Purge, Siphon to mention a few.

More
15 Oct 2012 12:18 #39156 by ReverendRevolver
Or just go the way of beastial vengeance.

allegiance through the umber
action
1 blood
requires a sabbat vampire
+1 stealth action.
[nec] recruit a wraith ally from your hand, ignoring requirements and reducing its cost by one pool.
[NEC] move 3 blood from the blood bank to a younger harbinger of skulls or sabbat vampire with [nec] in your uncontrolled region.

More
17 Oct 2012 17:46 - 17 Oct 2012 17:49 #39371 by Dorrinal
Thinking more about ICL's hypothetical Force of Will deck.

Babalawo Alafin hunts, plays Force of Will, Daring the Dawn and Trochomancy. 5 bleed, 1 blood, he burns. Next turn play Blessed Resilience and repeat.

Gilbert Duane plays Govern the Unaligned, Lost in Crowds, and Threats. 5 bleed, 1 blood, doesn't burn. Next turn play Life in the City and repeat.

The Harbingers deck is susceptible to Sudden Reversal and has to include additional cards to account for allies and being blocked on the hunt action. Malkavians also need to include additional cards because they are susceptible to intercept - but they sure do get a lot of mileage out of Govern the Unaligned at superior, and all they need is a little blood gain to pay for their bleed cards.

I guess my point here is that the Harbingers of Skulls need to do perform a lot of gymnastics to make a less effective bleed deck.

:trem:
Last edit: 17 Oct 2012 17:49 by Dorrinal.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds