question-circle How do you value archbishops and prisci?

17 Jul 2013 10:29 - 17 Jul 2013 10:29 #51736 by Boris The Blade
Archbishops are better than Prisci because they can make Inquisitors. It all makes sense now :P
Last edit: 17 Jul 2013 10:29 by Boris The Blade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2013 11:04 #51737 by drnlmza

This is just food for thought, but I thought I'd put the question here.

If you had the choice (and for the sake of the argument we focus only on the title, not capacity/disciplines), would you rather control an archbishop or a priscus?
And if you could control 2 of each, would you lean more to ab's, or prisci? And what if the number you control is further increasing?

I think answers this question is meaningless without more context.

It's often useful to have incidental votes in a non-vote deck. It ensures you aren't the easy sink for stray damage for a KRC, gives you a negotiating position in poltical action debates and so forth. In decks like that, I'd prefer prisci to archbishops (all other considerations being equal). The benefits of the prisci title are at least as good or better than the archbishop, and the downsides irrelevant.

The difference in the cards that prisci and archbishops enable is pretty uninteresting (with the exception of Papillion), so there's nothing much to choose there.

In a dedicated vote deck, however, there is a benefit to controlling multiple distinct titles, and then archbishops are an advantage, but even there, I would favour 1 prisci and 1 archbishop over 2 archbishops.

This is before looking at capacities and disciplines, which is a frankly unrealistic restriction to place on the comparison. The prisci are often cheaper than archbishops (14 prisci with capacities 8 or less (which includes Gratiano), while there are only 9 archbishops), and often have better discipline spreads than comparable archbishops (compare Korah and Marie Faucigny, for example), which is a further point in favour of prisci.

--
National Coordinator
South Africa
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amenophobis

More
17 Jul 2013 12:10 #51743 by Ankha

For me it's clear. Archbishops are more reliable, vote-wise, and give more votes the more you control. Contrast to prisci, where you will have to contend with other players' prisci eventually, and the votes of the block are fixed at 3.

You seriously believe this ? Or you have just never thought about it ? It's hard to take this as any other thing than a joke to be honest.

If you have a single priscus, he is exactly as reliable as a cardinal : 3 votes. If your opponent have a prisci, it's the same thing as your and his prisci having 3 votes (who cancel each other). If your opponent have two prisci, it's the same as each prisci having 3 votes (6 to your opponent, 3 for you). If your opponents get 3 or more prisci, then they are unlucky or have badly constructed deck, and in any case the situation is significantly less worse than if all four vampire were archbishop.

This is the best case scenario where archbishops or prisci lead to the same vote difference.

The worst case scenario is when your cross-table buddy and you each control Prisci against a third player who controls an Inner Circle.
The prisci block will be worth 3 votes, no matter how many prisci are in play and will lose again the IC, whereas archbishops would have made a difference.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
17 Jul 2013 12:17 - 17 Jul 2013 12:18 #51744 by Ohlmann

The worst case scenario is when your cross-table buddy and you each control Prisci against a third player who controls an Inner Circle.
The prisci block will be worth 3 votes, no matter how many prisci are in play and will lose again the IC, whereas archbishops would have made a difference.

In worse case scenario, you contest title with your cross table buddies too. And archbishop are shared with camarilla vampires and throught group, while justicar are arguably more popular now than any single priscuses.

Can you really say with all seriousness when including a priscus "oh, no, if a crosstable buddy play a priscus too I will have less vote than an archbishop. Let's completely play an archbishop of the same size instead, it will make me much more likely to pass vote !" ?

The worse thing is, unlike unique title, the popularity of priscuses (?) don't affect their value, because if a lot of priscus are played, you are as likely to see them against you than with you. So it make even less sense than avoiding Lucian in your deck because Unmada and Marie Streck are very popular.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2013 12:18 by Ohlmann.

More
17 Jul 2013 13:07 #51749 by Ankha

Can you really say with all seriousness when including a priscus "oh, no, if a crosstable buddy play a priscus too I will have less vote than an archbishop.

This is a crappy reason, sure

Let's completely play an archbishop of the same size instead, it will make me much more likely to pass vote !" ?

We're not talking about 1 random vampire in the crypt, but of a vote deck crypt with as many titled vampires as possible. In that case, I'd include 1 or 2 priscus only (for the sake of drawing 1 in the drawing crypt), the rest being non-priscus titled vampires because 2 Prisci have 3 votes whereas 2 Archbishops have 4 votes.
Considering that 3 vampires out is an average for vote decks, it even gets better with 1 Priscus and 2 other titled vampires (avg. 7 votes) rather than 3 Prisci (3 votes).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amenophobis

More
17 Jul 2013 13:47 #51755 by KevinM

Well, Una is spectacular!
;)

Having a Priscus usually gives a player three votes. Having Gratiano with a Cardinal Benediction is fantastic, as he becomes Godtiano.

Having an Archbishop gives a player 2 votes and Eternal Vigilance. Nearly no one uses Creation Rites, Private Audience, or Templar, and the other Archbishop cards are garbage.

Papillon isn't garbage, sigh.

Papillon isn't an Archbishop card.

The discussion is about Priscus and Archbishops, not titled vampires.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds