file Trap rewording

07 Aug 2018 05:52 - 07 Aug 2018 05:54 #89728 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Trap rewording
Thanks for the feedback.
A few comments:
  • "Only usable before range is determined during the first round of combat." does not follow a "during X do Y" template: there is no "do Y" here (see also the other cards that are only usable during the first round)
  • When the Trap has provided its last press, it can "reactivate" later on. For instance, you press once using a Mob Connection, then in the following round play a combat card. It is corner-case, but burning the card would require more text anyway, so it's probably better to keep it the way it works right now
  • The main problem with this card is that it is difficult to know how many presses the Trap provide. That is why I prefer to start with 3 counters, each of them representing a press. Doing it the other way may offer a slightly shorter text, but I feel we lose the intent.

Please continue to provide feedback, nothing is settled yet.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 07 Aug 2018 05:54 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bloodartist

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2018 06:22 - 07 Aug 2018 06:39 #89729 by Bloodartist
Replied by Bloodartist on topic Trap rewording

At BCP, we are considering changing the text of Trap to:

Only usable before range is determined during the first round of combat.
Put this card in play with 3 counters. Each time a card is played this combat, add counters to this card until it has 3 counters. During the press step of each round this combat, this Trap automatically burns 1 counter from itself to provide 1 press to continue combat (either combatant can press to end combat). Burn this card at the end of combat.

The behavior is the same except that the card stays in play for the duration of the combat (not a big difference).

Do you find it clearer this way? If not why?

Pretty ingenious wording. B) I am definitely in favor of using counters to count the number of rounds the trap works. We should try to use counters whenever there is some game state that needs to be tracked for a longer period of time. I would be willing to accept this wording as it is.

I am also in favor of the "count down" approach, as it is intuitive and simpler in the probably the most common situation: nobody plays combat cards after the first round. Once you are down to zero, just put trap to ash heap and move on with your life.

• When the Trap has provided its last press, it can "reactivate" later on. For instance, you press once using a Mob Connection, then in the following round play a combat card. It is corner-case, but burning the card would require more text anyway, so it's probably better to keep it the way it works right now
  • I agree. The possibility of resetting the trap yourself later on is definitely important. I have been playing with combat decks that utilize trap for a while now (Matasuntha among other things), and I often wait for the trap to work couple rounds, then reset the trap myself with taste of vitae. Using counters to count the number of presses would definitely be useful, as my opponents often have resigned to their fate and just want to shortcut to the end, while I want to maximize the effectiveness of taste and still following the actual game rules (play taste as late as possible but still get maximum amount of blood possible).

Attempting to shortcut to the end can sometimes lead to confusing situations where we are unsure how many rounds have we done or how many does it actually require for the opponent to get torporized. Any help tracking this situation is appreciated (I also play drawing out the beast which further confuses the combat math, as the extra 1 damage happens in press step. Confuses in the sense that I feel obligated to mention it aloud).

• The main problem with this card is that it is difficult to know how many presses the Trap provide. That is why I prefer to start with 3 counters, each of them representing a press. Doing it the other way may offer a slightly shorter text, but I feel we lose the intent.
  • [/ul]

Please continue to provide feedback, nothing is settled yet.

I think its ok for the text to be slightly longer, as long as it cannot be misunderstood (at least easily). This is a really good attempt at rewording one of the more confusing cards in VTES.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
    —Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 07 Aug 2018 06:39 by Bloodartist.

More
    07 Aug 2018 07:34 #89730 by Lönkka
    Replied by Lönkka on topic Trap rewording
    "Each time a card is played this combat, add counters to this card until it has 3 counters."

Uh, so this changes it a bit as Trap doesn't reset but will provide just one press instead. No good.

Some of the "add counters and when you have three" methods would work better.

After all we are trying to make a way to count the remaining turns Trap is in effect, not change the card, right?

I've mostly just counted the number of rounds that have gone without cards being played (with sticking my fingers up). Has worked great.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
    • Away
    • Antediluvian
    • Antediluvian
    • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
    More
    07 Aug 2018 08:11 - 07 Aug 2018 08:14 #89731 by Ankha
    Replied by Ankha on topic Trap rewording

After all we are trying to make a way to count the remaining turns Trap is in effect, not change the card, right?

Correct.

"Each time a card is played this combat, add counters to this card until it has 3 counters."

Uh, so this changes it a bit as Trap doesn't reset but will provide just one press instead. No good.

Please detail how you understand that sentence, and the whole card as it is worded. I am interested in knowing why you understand it wrongly.

EDIT: I suppose that you read it this way: "Add a counter for each card played (until it has 3 counters)" whereas the sentence means: "If you play a card, fill the card back up to 3 counters".

At some point, I wanted to write "Each time a card is played this combat, put back the counters you removed from this card on this card." Would it be clearer?

Prince of Paris, France
    Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
    Last edit: 07 Aug 2018 08:14 by Ankha.

More
    07 Aug 2018 09:41 #89736 by Lönkka
    Replied by Lönkka on topic Trap rewording
    I read it as "Whenever you play a card add one counter per card played (until it has 3 counters)".

Since there has been some confusion about the wording already I think the possible rewrite needs as much clarity as possible as to achieve what is sought with it. And certainly not get even more confusing :)

Like said earlier, I think some of the approaches from other direction ("add counters and when you have three") seem to be clearer.

Is there a particular reason you want to counters to be removed and the effect end when the card is empty? Other cards use the same template etc?

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
    • Away
    • Antediluvian
    • Antediluvian
    • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
    More
    07 Aug 2018 10:00 - 07 Aug 2018 10:24 #89738 by Bloodartist
    Replied by Bloodartist on topic Trap rewording

I read it as "Whenever you play a card add one counter per card played (until it has 3 counters)".

Since there has been some confusion about the wording already I think the possible rewrite needs as much clarity as possible as to achieve what is sought with it. And certainly not get even more confusing :)

Since every counter represents a press, yes, it does reset. The wording does made it work identically as before. Its just simpler to track with every counter being a press. (And this being more intuitive compared to counting upwards with the counters).

EDIT:
    Maybe a wording
    "When a card is played this combat, add counters to this card until it has 3 counters"
    might be better, to avoid the wording 'each time' which people might mistake the way Lönkka did above, to think that you only add one counter per card played.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
    —Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 07 Aug 2018 10:24 by Bloodartist.

More
    Moderators: AnkhaKraus
    Time to create page: 0.104 seconds