file [VEG] Finnish Grand Prix Helsinki / Ropecon - 27th July 2019

29 Jul 2019 14:07 #96020 by Lönkka

I hope more tournaments are streamed in the future.

Well, the tech guys have said that if we get the EC for 2020 we'll stream the WHOLE three days of EC. :D

I'm fine with hosting even three days and my this year's surprise co-host got so much into it (even as a player who hasn't played any in 5 or so years) that he said that he'd be interested in getting on board next year and even more so if it was EC and three days...

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum, LivesByProxy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Lönkka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
02 Jan 2020 22:46 #98388 by ICL
Didn't want to start a new, misleading thread.

I'm going to try to make Ropecon 2020. I just priced hotel/airfare and it sounded reasonable, so I may look at booking these relatively soon and nonrefundably.

However, I figure I get anyone's thoughts who have an opinion as to how to make the trip better. Figure I would try to arrive in advance of the convention in order to have some time in a place I've never been. Have to leave like Monday after con to get back in time for flight out to Gen Con.

More
03 Jan 2020 11:11 - 03 Jan 2020 11:19 #98393 by Lönkka
Welcome!

There will be preliminary tournaments from Mon-Thu and it is VERY likely that our fellow Swedes will organize a Love Boat tournament on the Ferry over from Stockholm to Helsinki on Sunday. Probably also on the way back too on Monday (?) after EC (so arriving via Stockholm might give you more options to get here, plus a fun and pretty unique event too).

As well as a welcoming party on Thursday evening.
Probably a sightseeing tour on Thursday.

You want more info on Helsinki?
The 2019 Facebook event had a TON of info in the "information" part of the page. Majority of it from blatantly linking to the EXCELLENT progress reports of Worldcon 2017 which are CHOCK FULL of information of the Jewel of the Baltic and Finland in general too.

I'll even copy the link to you from this thread's first page (which actually also copies the very same info):
www.facebook.com/events/400174097206204/

The 2019 FB event does have a thread containing links to vids of several useful subjects: alcohol, food, swearing and sauna.

Last edit: 03 Jan 2020 11:19 by Lönkka.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
More
03 Jan 2020 11:16 #98394 by Lönkka
Everybody, let us know what your interests are and we'll do our best to include them in the EC 2020 page we're designing.

Besides gaming (which will naturally be included) I for example am at least somewhat well versed on comics, films, music, books, plastic models and (military) history. Perhaps even arts. So what and where to shop would be reasonably easy to do as well as list of places and museums to see.

Other organizers have various other areas of expertise.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
More
03 Jan 2020 11:24 #98395 by Lönkka
Attachments:

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
More
07 Jan 2020 11:49 - 07 Jan 2020 11:50 #98452 by Bloodartist
If you wish to explore Helsinki at all or visit other vtes players; I can only recommend you get HSL day ticket (zone AB) for however long you are staying. This frees up your transportation considerably and is easy to use.

One ticket is eligible in practically all forms of public transportation in Helsinki area; bus, tram, underground, commuter train and some ferries. Its available in phone app or in paper form. Note that depending where your hotel is located, you will most likely travel to the main venue via commuter train to Pasila station. From there its within walking distance.

www.hsl.fi/en/tickets/day-tickets

Welcome!

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 07 Jan 2020 11:50 by Bloodartist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds