file [VEG] Finnish Grand Prix Helsinki / Ropecon - 27th July 2019

07 Jan 2020 17:10 #98455 by ICL
So, it sounds like fly in any time before Ropecon starts, but earlier arrival means more VTES outside of Ropecon and more touristing? I expect to fly back Monday after Ropecon.

Stay at any hotel that's close or near public transportation?

Regarding food, are there any recommendations of the various food options around the convention? If I stay in Kamppi (possibly more on the East side), any recommendations (I don't care at all about fine dining, more into something a local might eat)?

For VTES events prior to Ropecon 2020 officially starting, where would they be located?

Maybe a year in which I don't have to fly to Gen Con right after, I could do something more complicated involving Stockholm, but I think I try something relatively simple.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2020 18:28 - 07 Jan 2020 18:43 #98456 by Bloodartist

Stay at any hotel that's close or near public transportation?

I don't have any more knowledge of hotels in Helsinki area other than what is already available in the internet, so can't help you there. As I said earlier, its reasonably quick and simple to travel in Helsinki, but for fastest travel times you might want lodgings near an underground station (the underground travels on west-east axis) or a railroad station.
(ps. The underground is called "Metro")

Regarding food, are there any recommendations of the various food options around the convention? If I stay in Kamppi (possibly more on the East side), any recommendations (I don't care at all about fine dining, more into something a local might eat)?

There are a number of options available at the venue itself, including, but not limited to, a real restaurant and a hamburger joint that is open all night long. The recently renovated Pasila station (now titled mall of Tripla ) is chock-full of restaurants and places to eat. It is huge. Downtown also has restaurants and pubs literally everywhere.

Keep in mind that the venue and the convention will be open non-stop from friday afternoon to sunday about 6 pm. As long as you have the RoPeCon weekend ticket you can go in and out at your leisure. Some folks simply sleep at the venue in a sleeping bag. Afaik there are possibly larger rooms reserved for that. You can also play games all day and night long if you want..

(Although the underground stops operation approx 11:30 pm onwards to early morning. The commuter trains will keep running deep into the night. )

For VTES events prior to Ropecon 2020 officially starting, where would they be located?

Excellent question, I don't know. I assume we will know more closer to the event.

However, I can say that the local VTES players play weekly at a pub within walking distance from the central railway station. Technically alternating days between wednesday and thursday, on special occasion both days same week. Its very likely that week before ropecon will be such a special occasion :)
Usually the place is a pub called Kaisla (address vilhonkatu 4), from 5 pm onwards. You are welcome to join us there, if there is nothing else.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 07 Jan 2020 18:43 by Bloodartist.

More
08 Jan 2020 09:02 - 08 Jan 2020 09:04 #98466 by Lönkka
ICL, those worldcon articles linked in the 2019 Ropecon should have pretty extensive review of about every restaurant in central Helsinki and most likely Pasila too. Should be pretty up to date even still. Helsinki is pretty small so pretty much everything is in walking distance if you are staying in Kamppi or Kluuvi. Central Helsinki area has a ton of restaurants and it all depends what you are after (local, ethnic, fast, cheap, expensive, etc).

And like Bloodartist said, getting a Day Ticket is cheap and simple (although if you just take the train (1 stop) from Kluuvi to the venue in Pasila and back during the day then you are probably paying some euros extra per day. But also that way you don't need to worry about paying each ride etc. IIRC airport is located at zone C but buying an ABC day ticket for arrival/departure would most likely be cost prohibitive. It is probably cheaper to just purchase a single ticket for the trips involving airport, but we'll research that for the actual EC info before the event.

Arriving early and more touristing sounds cool, but obviously that is up to you. And there should be a Week of Nightmares tournament during each day on Mon-Thu.

At the moment it looks like the Week of Nightmares events will most likely be held in Pasila very close to the venue. In any case they will happen in central Helsinki (no further than Kamppi or actually more central Kluuvi is more likely candidate). But more on that later.

I guess with the welcome party going on during Thursday there probably won't be weekly game going on (people still can play at the welcome party if so inclined) especially with the Thursday's week of nightmares tournament game going on as well earlier that day.

Ah, the convention organizers have corrected (me among others) during the years that is it Ropecon, not RoPeCon or RopeCon ;)

[EDIT: Just thought that the vintage travel poster should actually say: "Finland, the Country of Anthelios"]

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2020 09:04 by Lönkka.

• Lönkka
  • Lönkka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
08 Jan 2020 09:06 - 08 Jan 2020 09:08 #98467 by Lönkka
Regarding hotels, we probably might have some sort of "official" EC hotel but, once again, more on that later (we'll see if next week's organizer meeting will yield any results).

Meanwhile, Airb&b is one option and below are some good choices I already gave to some mates asking for accommodation (more undoubtedly can be found via different booking agents):

Right next to the venue (Messukeskus: Ratapihantie 17, 00520 Helsinki) which is located in Pasila, or Böle in swedish:
Holiday Inn Helsinki Expo
Messuaukio 1
00520 Helsinki
www.holidayinn.com/hotels/gb/en/helsinki/helcc/hoteldetail

5 minute walk to venue:
Original Sokos Hotel Tripla
Fredikanterassi 1 B
00520 Helsinki
www.sokoshotels.fi/en/helsinki/original-sokos-hotel-tripla

10 minute walk to Venue:
Original Sokos Hotel Pasila
Maistraatinportti 3
00240 Helsinki
www.sokoshotels.fi/en/helsinki/sokos-hotel-pasila

10 minute walk to Venue:
Hiisi Homes Helsinki Pasila
Radiokuja 6 A
00240 Helsinki
www.hiisihomes.fi/en/hiisi-homes/hiisi-homes-helsinki-pasila-2/

20-30 minute walk to Venue:
Park Hotel Käpylä
Pohjolankatu 38
00600 Helsinki
www.park.fi/en-gb

In Helsinki Center (right next to railway station and Kaisla)
Hotel Arthur
Vuorikatu 19
00100 Helsinki
www.hotelarthur.fi/en/

A bit further in Helsinki center (like 15 minutes walk to railway station)
Hoteli Anna
Annankatu 1
00120 Helsinki
www.hotelanna.fi/?lang=en

All the other locations are in the attached map except Park Hotel which is slightly to the north of the map edge. Ooops...

There, of course, are other hotels around. But I tried picking the ones either near venue at Pasila (or roughly thereabouts) or cheap ones at the centre. From booking/ Airb&b you most likely can find other places, especially apartment hotels and such.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2020 09:08 by Lönkka.

• Lönkka
  • Lönkka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds