file Card idea: Pawn influence

20 Feb 2012 17:27 - 20 Feb 2012 17:30 #23723 by Drain
Replied by Drain on topic Re: Card idea: Pawn influence
I like this card. It is usable (read: good), has a broad appeal and doesn't seem breakable in any major way. I would make it tap the vampire in addition to burning a blood, though. I might give a cap restriction on how old the older vampires need to be (like, 8+...).

:Edit: Oh, and reading back, definitely agree with it needing to target someone from the same clan.

Drain
Last edit: 20 Feb 2012 17:30 by Drain.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2012 07:31 #25581 by direwolf

Name: Pawn influence
Type: Master

Card text: Choose a ready vampire you control and older vampire in your uncontrolled region. Burn one blood from the chosen vampire in your ready region and then move up to 3 blood from that vampire to the vampire in your uncontrolled region. Only one Pawn influence may be played in a turn.

"To understand the nature of the people one must be a prince, and to understand the nature of the prince, one must be of the people.
- Niccolo Machiavelli

What do you think? Maybe this could diversify influence strategy :)

As a master card, I think "Social Ladder" is appropriate for your concept. As the card you have written... it looks a lot like "The Fourth Tradition: the Accounting" minus the fact that it's a master card instead of a minion card with a restriction of a title.

I get the idea of wanting to bring out a younger vampire and use the pool spent on that vampire to bring out an older vampire.

How about:

"Pawn"
Master, out of turn.
Put this card on a vampire when you move him or her from you uncontrolled region to your ready region during your influence phase. During your next untap phase burn this vampire and move his or her blood to a vampire in your uncontrolled region. If that vampire has blood equal to or more than his or her capacity, move that vampire to your ready region.

What the card does for you is maybe give you a blocker while trying to bring out a bigger vampire. Problem is I don't think it's worth anything in the late game. Maybe someone else has an idea.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
11 Mar 2012 11:54 - 11 Mar 2012 11:59 #25596 by jamesatzephyr

"Pawn"
Master, out of turn.
Put this card on a vampire when you move him or her from you uncontrolled region to your ready region during your influence phase.
Problem is I don't think it's worth anything in the late game. Maybe someone else has an idea.

The opportunity cost is really quite high and, as you say, the late game aspect means that if you do include several of these in your deck (to draw them early), they jam your hand later.

So, being mindful of the fact that master cards need to be quite pokey in order to bump Villein, Dreams etc. from your deck, but trying to avoid brokenness, and wanting the card to be reasonably cyclable...
En Passant
Master: out-of-turn
Play when an action is announced. Choose and burn a vampire of less than 4? 5? capacity in your uncontrolled region.
If you control no ready minions, the action fails. Otherwise, choose one of your ready vampires with capacity greater than 3? 4? 5?; for the duration of this action, that vampire has +2 intercept (even if it is not yet needed) and can burn a blood to block and play reaction cards as if untapped.

The idea being - obviously, I hope - that you can continue to pile all your counters on Gwendolyn, rather than having to go for Smudge first.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2012 11:59 by jamesatzephyr.

More
11 Mar 2012 15:24 #25600 by direwolf
What if this idea was a vampire?

"Pawn"
:cait:
:cap1:
This vampire is not unique and may not take directed (d) actions. This vampire may move 2 blood from the blood bank to vampire above 8 capacity in your uncontrolled region as a +1 stealth action. Burn this vampire if you control another vampire.

or

"Pawn"
When this vampire moves to your ready region move a vampire from your crypt to your uncontrolled region. During your influence phase burn this vampire and move three blood from the blood bank to that vampire.

It certainly fits a Gehenna theme... perhaps a thin blood vampire with an extraordinary gift helps influence an elder?

The second idea is kind of a gamble, but it can be used late game as well to generate pool.

:tore: :pre: :tem: :aus: Independent Futurist. Contrarian (titled, X votes where X is the number of votes as the acting minion.) Target Vitals is always the better combat card.

More
14 Mar 2012 12:20 - 14 Mar 2012 12:29 #25818 by jamesatzephyr

"Pawn"
When this vampire moves to your ready region move a vampire from your crypt to your uncontrolled region. During your influence phase burn this vampire and move three blood from the blood bank to that vampire.

Two possible problems:

1) This potentially runs counter to the original idea of aiming to bring a big vampire out quickly, in that you could transfer one pool to this, three pool to another vampire, and actually be a pool down on bringing out that first big vampire.

This isn't killer, and I'm generally in favour of the idea of making the Influence Phase a bit less pointless in the mid and late game, but I'm not sure you're achieving what you want.

2) The mechanic you've implmented is quite awkward from a rules point of view.
a) You don't get a choice in the moving of blood, so it should probably just be for any minion (not vampire), or else it gets confusing with the errata/rulings released along with Nights of Reckoning.
b) The uncontrolled region is unordered, so technically I can shuffle it around a lot and then lie about which vampire it was that was drawn.
At the start of your influence phase, remove Pawn from the game, move the top card of your crypt (if any) to your uncontrolled region, and add three blood to that card from the blood bank.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2012 12:29 by jamesatzephyr.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds