map-pin Guidelines for Card Submissions

07 Sep 2012 09:54 #36204 by brandonsantacruz
Are there good online sources for cannon material? I've had plenty of card ideas, but White Wolf put out so many books that my collection barely scratches the surface.

Can someone who knows intellectual property law go over what you can and can't use for something like this? In many sets WotC, WW, and CCP used quotes from songs, books, politicians, etc. Along those lines, how old does a book or movie, song, etc have to be before you can use it as public domain?

Thanks,

Brandon

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2012 10:00 - 07 Sep 2012 10:05 #36205 by Juggernaut1981
Brandon,
Just choose things either:
a) By someone long dead (Mark Twain, Lovecraft, Roosevelt)
b) Said by an individual in a public forum (i.e. politician or public figure at a press conference)
c) Belonging to a text which does not have a copyright author (i.e. Bible, Quran)
d) Old literature (100+ year old texts).

I tend to use quote sites and choose either a keyword or Author and then dig through for something suitable.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Last edit: 07 Sep 2012 10:05 by Juggernaut1981.

More
07 Sep 2012 11:25 #36214 by brandonsantacruz

Brandon,
Just choose things either:
a) By someone long dead (Mark Twain, Lovecraft, Roosevelt)
b) Said by an individual in a public forum (i.e. politician or public figure at a press conference)
c) Belonging to a text which does not have a copyright author (i.e. Bible, Quran)
d) Old literature (100+ year old texts).

I tend to use quote sites and choose either a keyword or Author and then dig through for something suitable.

While that may be a starting point, there are actual laws governing this. I'd like to know what they are (in a nutshell). I am vaguely familiar with "fair use," but I don't know if that applies to this print on demand idea I've read about.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
11 Sep 2012 12:09 - 11 Sep 2012 13:23 #36478 by Damnans
The guidelines for card submissions have been expanded with the following information:

LIBRARY CARD SUBMISSION TEMPLATE

Name:
Cardtype:
Cost:
Capacity:
Discipline:
Clan:
(Card text)

Flavor text:

Art notes:

World of Darkness reference:

How does this card address a compelling game need?:

Created by:

LIBRARY CARD SUBMISSION SAMPLE

Name: Ra's Blessing
Cardtype: Action modifier
Cost: 3 blood
Capacity: Not applicable
Discipline: Bardo
Clan: None
Only usable as the action is announced.
[bar] Vampires cannot block this action.
[BAR] As above, and if the action is successful, this vampire may burn 1 blood to untap (after resolving the action).

Flavor text: “The higher the sun ariseth, the less shadow doth he cast; even so the greater is the goodness, the less doth it covet praise; yet cannot avoid its rewards in honours.”, Akhenaton (King of Egypt, 14th century BC)

Art notes: A dark-skinned Egyptian vampire walking on a crowded street at noon showing indifference.

World of Darkness reference: The Hunters Hunted, p. 53

How does this card address a compelling game need?: The actions of Children of Osiris vampires get easily blocked and, since they lack access to offensive combat cards, unblockability (even at a high cost) would make them more viable.

Created by: Ginés Quiñonero

CRYPT CARD SUBMISSION TEMPLATE

Name:
Cardtype:
Clan:
Level:
Group:
Capacity:
Discipline:
(Card text)

Art notes:

World of Darkness reference:

How does this card address a compelling game need?:

Created by:

CRYPT CARD SUBMISSION SAMPLE

Name: Khetamon, Grand Undying King
Cardtype: Vampire
Clan: Children of Osiris
Level: Basic
Group: 5
Capacity: 10
Discipline: aus for BAR DOM OBT POT
Independent. Khetamon can move a vampire in torpor to your uncontrolled region as a +1 stealth (D) action.

Art notes: Khetamon irradiates an aura of peace around him. He is sitting on the floor of the Grand Temple of the Children of Osiris. His face can hardly be seen because of the surrounding tiny chandelier lighting.

World of Darkness reference: Mummy1 pp. 64-65

How does this card address a compelling game need?: The Children of Osiris clan is missing a 10 capacity vampire in group 5.

Created by: Ginés Quiñonero

Recommendations:

- Avoid any of the following characters: [ ] { } ( ) ; : - /
- Sentences on cards that go in play should be readable in any order. Don't use "that vampire" in a sentence if "that vampire" is not defined in that sentence.
- "You" is ALWAYS the controler of the card. Minion cards are controled by the controler of the minion they are on, master cards are controled by the Methuselah who played them.
- If you exceed 11 lines of text (~350 characters) for a library card, it's too long.
- If you exceed 5 lines of text (~150 characters) for a crypt card, it's too long.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
Last edit: 11 Sep 2012 13:23 by Damnans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara, er-principe, Pascal Bertrand, Lönkka, BenPeal, acbishop, Dr.Mafrune, Dorrinal

More
11 Sep 2012 13:35 #36480 by Dr.Mafrune
I would name Khetamon with his ability and discipline spread the Great Purging King. :laugh:

:TEM::AUS::DEM:

More
11 Sep 2012 13:47 #36481 by ReverendRevolver
Do you prefer this template over attaching pictures of cards created on your site?
And is there a submission deadline? I have limited internet access with my computer, but I do have the artless cards saved to it. Eventually can submit what I have that way, keep it very lowland tediously from my phone.

@brandon: there are several sights if you are just looking for Canon tie inform cards and not quotes. white woke wiki is spotty but ok. I think Mr.gone did scamp geneology, and Charlotte by night has a lot of fallible bios for existing crypt cards on their site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds