exclamation-circle Guardians of the Faith, a PDF VTES Set by PCK

12 Sep 2012 05:56 #36540 by johannes

We are cautiously optimistic about Johannes’ recent assurances that the V:EKN will not be using our cards for their separate fan expansion. This is what we asked for back in April 2012. Many of the recent controversies could have been avoided if the V:EKN had acknowledged our request at that time.

You are giving an incorrect interpretation of what I wrote. I assured everyone that we will not use any of your original ideas. You were asking us not to use any card at all from what had been achieved so far, back in April. But a lot of it is based on original ideas from White Wolf or other people involved in the early process of the design (PCK were by far not the only contributors, and I can back it up with data if needed).

Here is my post for reference.

I can re-assure you the VEKN issued set will not use any original ideas that have been published here (obviously a vampire name or a discipline spread is not an original idea, it is found in the canon). There are a couple of really minor things we´ll need to correct, but that isn´t much of an issue.

The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2012 07:23 - 12 Sep 2012 07:23 #36549 by Lambach

So one difference between PCK and you is that the VEKN chose them initially to help design the new set and did not choose you.

That difference is merely circumstantial. Erol did not volunteer for desingning the new set. PCK did.

I'm pretty sure most VTES players (myself included) had no idea that a new set was being contemplated and therefore the initial design team was contacted by the VEKN directly, so it's not really circumstantial difference. These people were specifically sought out. Even if I'm wrong in this assumption, I'm sure the VEKN had requirements for the design team as far as time/work that must be put into the development of the set which most people would have been unwilling or unable to commit to (including myself and, apparently, the Design Team Leader).
Last edit: 12 Sep 2012 07:23 by Lambach.

More
12 Sep 2012 07:33 #36550 by Lambach

As members of the original VEKN design team their cards would have become legal had there not been the huge row about the absence of the Design Team Leader and the change in design philosophy that prompted PCK to go their seperate way. So one difference between PCK and you is that the VEKN chose them initially to help design the new set and did not choose you. Another difference is that they have spent 5 months playtesting the cards in different playgroups and vetting them with the VEKN Rules meistro.

Yeah that maybe so, but I don't see the the real difference after they are not part of the design team anymore. If you are out, you are out.

I think that makes me angry at the most, is that they believe they have a right to say that they own the designed cards from a background that is not created by them. They just used terms from the WoD.

And I am sorry for the guys who have spent a lot of time playtesting the cards. It would feels like you had to playtest cards like "Code of Milan Suspended", "Transfer of Power" and "Monomancy".

You are probably right that they have no authority to copyright the source material, but the mechanics of the cards are a different matter. And given how they've been snubbed by the VEKN after months of work on the initial design for the set, I don't blame them for wanting to differentiate their cards and ideas.

As far as the rest, you'll see Danse Macabre soon enough and then you can decide for yourself which set you think is better for the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dude_PL

More
12 Sep 2012 09:42 - 12 Sep 2012 09:54 #36560 by Damnans

I'm pretty sure most VTES players (myself included) had no idea that a new set was being contemplated

Most readers of this forum were aware of the possibility of a new set:
www.vekn.net/index.php/forum/10-news-and-announcements/6452-vekn-call-for-artists#6452

and therefore the initial design team was contacted by the VEKN directly, so it's not really circumstantial difference.

You are wrong.

These people were specifically sought out.

PCK weren't sought out.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
Last edit: 12 Sep 2012 09:54 by Damnans.

More
12 Sep 2012 10:05 #36563 by Lambach
OK your link is to a thread asking for potential artists for a new set dated mid July last year. Presumably this means that the new set had already been decided upon and was potentially already underway. Where's the thread announcing that there would be a new set and asking for volunteers to help design it? Jeff Kuta in his very first complaint about all this business claims he was contacted by the VEKN directly to work as a designer. Are you saying this is not true?

See also the rest of my response to your post. Even if I am completely wrong and everyone except me knew in real-time that this set was being developed, surely it was not just a matter of e-mailing in card ideas to become part of the Design Team. Surely there was some requirement of semi-serious commitment and willingness to do work.

More
12 Sep 2012 11:01 #36569 by Killjoy71

OK your link is to a thread asking for potential artists for a new set dated mid July last year. Presumably this means that the new set had already been decided upon and was potentially already underway. Where's the thread announcing that there would be a new set and asking for volunteers to help design it? Jeff Kuta in his very first complaint about all this business claims he was contacted by the VEKN directly to work as a designer. Are you saying this is not true?

See also the rest of my response to your post. Even if I am completely wrong and everyone except me knew in real-time that this set was being developed, surely it was not just a matter of e-mailing in card ideas to become part of the Design Team. Surely there was some requirement of semi-serious commitment and willingness to do work.

Isn't this pushing it to the limit? ( ;) )

If you want hard data to make an opinion; the forum is open to your perusal. What is the point that you are tryng to make?

VTES is not for the faint of heart...especially when you don't have a enough blood.

Prince Of Geneva

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds