file Submission - Breath of the Basilisk (SER/for combat card)

08 Oct 2012 20:42 - 08 Oct 2012 20:44 #38652 by Juggernaut1981
I'd be tempted to make it "Serpentis Equipment" like Heart of Darkness, Rutor's Hand and Concordance.

Breath of the Basilisk
Fortitude/Serpentis :for::ser:
1 blood :blood:
+1 stealth action.
:for::ser: Put this card on the acting vampire. The vampire with this card may burn 1 blood to Strike: Dodge at close range or Strike: 1R aggravated only at long range. Mortal allies opposing this vampire are burned at the end of combat.
:for::SER: As :for::ser: above, but untap this vampire at the end of this action.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 20:44 by Juggernaut1981.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2012 22:26 - 08 Oct 2012 22:28 #38665 by Reyda
it's awful from the beginning, but the last version is just too much. Nadima multiactions ruins a imbued deck in 3 moves. Not good. At least when it was a strike, a react with conviction could save the imbued. Not with the latter.

(oh and by the way, followers of set already have ways to trump allies and retainers. I can't see the urge to give them more, if the players are not willing to use the tool already at their disposal :angry: )

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier
Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 22:28 by Reyda.

More
09 Oct 2012 01:52 #38669 by Juggernaut1981
@Reyda:
If you ask me, ruining the ability of an Imbued deck to basically time out a table seems good to me. I don't really think that Imbued should be Crypt cards, and certainly shouldn't have the ability to completely shut down either or both decks seated next to them (which has been a common experience). Imbued trash plenty of games on their own. I doubt that this would add more to the VTES Ro-Sham-Bo of table seating if you were the Imbued player.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
09 Oct 2012 07:48 #38680 by Ankha

At least when it was a strike, a react with conviction could save the imbued.

That was intended indeed.

(oh and by the way, followers of set already have ways to trump allies and retainers. I can't see the urge to give them more, if the players are not willing to use the tool already at their disposal :angry: )

Sure, but then you can't design any new card because:
- either it's something the clan/discipline is good at already, then people have your reaction: "they can already do it! it's useless"
- or it's something new (extreme example would be a Deflection in Serpentis), then people would react saying "it's bullshit, now each discipline looks the same!"

I tried to stick to a canon material and give a new option. I know Serpentis already gives access to burn equipment/retainers cards (Kiss of Lachesis), but Breath of the Basilisk is a kind of variation that doesn't do exactly what the other serpentis cards do. It's main goal is not to trump allies specifically but make Serpentis more a nuisance (destroying your equipments, or retainers, or being dangerous with aggravated damage).

True combat decks won't be much affected by this card (grapple, prevent, or dodge + additional, long rang combat... will be resilient enough). But still, it can make funny and interesting decks. And don't forget it requires [ser] + [for] which limits the decks it can go in.

Here's the rewording:

Name: Breath of the Basilisk
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Serpentis/Fortitude
Cost: 1 blood
[ser][for] Strike: dodge, with an optional maneuver, only usable to go to long range.
[SER][for] Strike: 2 aggravated damage, only preventable by cards that require Fortitude [for]. For each damage that would be succesfully inflicted this way, you may burn one of the opposing minion's retainer or equipment instead. Aims can't be played on this strike.

(I dropped the burn ally part, though I have a feeling that vampires should always have the upper hand over allies).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
09 Oct 2012 07:54 #38681 by Ankha

I'm inclined to think the ally burn is overpowered for ser as it has access to so many burn ally options anyway (which are actually playable).

Sure, but see my remarks above. Does it mean no Serpentis card burning allies will be printed ever?

This card is very flexible which allows it to be 'too easily played' i.e. if there are no allies at the table you can still do 2 aggravated damage only preventable by for.

Yeah, if you play the right crypt, and enter combat combat with a guy that doesn't play grapple, nor dodge, nor combat ends, nor long-range combat. Compare it to Breath of Thanatos. Does the agg damage in NEC has created big imbalance in the game? I think not.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
09 Oct 2012 08:55 #38687 by Ke.

Compare it to Breath of Thanatos. Does the agg damage in NEC has created big imbalance in the game? I think not.

No, but Breath of Thanatos is 1 agg at close range — 2R agg would destroy animalism combat... as to whether that's bad or not, that's another conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds