file What flavortexts are allowed?

24 May 2014 10:56 #62736 by ReverendRevolver
What about shit old enough to have rights lapse, such as Dumas, Shakespeare, Thomas Paine, Mark Twain, etc on published works.

Also, whats the legality of public figure quotes? Churchill is quoted on Truth of a thousand lies, so i assume those are fair game.

Finally, what about song lyrics used with permission? Currently, Danzig(the asshole he is) is trying to get uppety about Misfits merchandising royalties, but before that, Jerry Only probably wouldnt have been too bothered about us using Misfits lyrics as flavor text.

While the horror side of punk and psychobilly are the easiest fits i see, other stuff may apply. And at least some of both sorts of bands are friendly enough about stuff likd that ( so, the Nekromantics would probably be cool about shit like that, whereas other personalities {is P Paul from the Metoers still alive? Hes kinda an ass} would be more asshole Axl Rose about requests)

In closing, its cool to make shit up that crypt card characters woulda said, right?

And can we quote PLAYERS?

"Would you like to press?"
-Loughman, after playing amaranth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2014 11:22 #62737 by jamesatzephyr

What about shit old enough to have rights lapse, such as Dumas, Shakespeare, Thomas Paine, Mark Twain, etc on published works.

The bit where BenPeal noted that public domain texts can be used answers this explicitly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Squidalot

More
24 May 2014 11:24 #62738 by ReverendRevolver

The bit where BenPeal noted that public domain texts can be used answers this explicitly.

*Facepalm*

More
24 May 2014 14:38 #62742 by Squidalot

Yes - but it also needs to be card specific and take into account space on a card - therefore as such more appropriate to take place in the playtest forum on or on the facebook page Henrik!

Ah, missed that bit. Most of my suggestions would be pretty unspecific anyway, but I´ll try to think harder! :)

But my question was also a bit more open I guess, regarding US laws and what really happened when the quotes on Vtes cards went from pretty awesome (Jyhad), to pretty boring (all other sets). Did Black Sabbath actually sue WW for quoting them on Faceless Night? Or was it David Lynch that got pissed about Owl Companion?

simplistically we don't know and we don't care who, if anyone complained but we're going to do our best not to infringe to avoid anybody needing/wanting to contact us [or CCP/Wotc].

More
24 May 2014 14:59 #62743 by BenPeal

But my question was also a bit more open I guess, regarding US laws and what really happened when the quotes on Vtes cards went from pretty awesome (Jyhad), to pretty boring (all other sets). Did Black Sabbath actually sue WW for quoting them on Faceless Night? Or was it David Lynch that got pissed about Owl Companion?

I'm not a copyright attorney, so I don't know what the ins and outs are with respect to "fair use" of song lyrics and such. I also don't remember the full story behind why song lyrics were taken out of the cards when the shift was made from Jyhad to V:TES. What I do know is that we have permission to use quotes from World of Darkness sourcebooks and we're free to use quotes from public domain sources. So, we're going to err on the side of caution and stick to using the material that we know for certain we can use.

I did ask a band if it would be ok to use some of their song lyrics on cards. They checked with their record label, and the label said that it would be ok so long as it wasn't done for any commercial purposes. Given that we're still trying to get the game back in print, I opted not to use the bands lyrics.

Finally, what about song lyrics used with permission? Currently, Danzig(the asshole he is) is trying to get uppety about Misfits merchandising royalties, but before that, Jerry Only probably wouldnt have been too bothered about us using Misfits lyrics as flavor text.

See above response. :)

In closing, its cool to make shit up that crypt card characters woulda said, right?

I have no idea. My gut reaction is that if you're going to write fiction, you should run a storyline event. ;)

And can we quote PLAYERS?

Breaking the fourth wall has been done before:

vtes.pl/card/341703

However, I'd rather not do that. Stick to WoD and public domain sources.

More
24 May 2014 15:53 #62745 by Ashur

So, we're going to err on the side of caution and stick to using the material that we know for certain we can use.

Alright, that´s understandable.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds