lock [Submission] Speed Demon (cel untap + no wake usable for tap'n'whatever)

16 Dec 2014 13:57 - 16 Dec 2014 13:57 #68212 by jamesatzephyr

That's not how I see it

Good for you. You're still, however, wrong.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2014 13:57 by jamesatzephyr.
The topic has been locked.
More
17 Dec 2014 08:44 - 17 Dec 2014 08:48 #68222 by Ankha

That's not how I see it

Did God speak? Is that all? There's no need to find whether there's a flaw in my reasoning, right?
It's not that simple because Pascal thinks I'm right. But let's consider the whole thing again (it's a bit clearer for me too):

Subject 1) Was the text on Sleeping Mind a reminder text? Does it matter?
LSJ says "It was redundant - the basic rules provide that functionality". So he considered it as a reminder text and therefore removed it. It also means he considered that the designer intend wasn't to prevent from blocking under a "wake" effect, or that he didn't care altering its effect.

Does it matter? Yes. A rule stated in a cardtext (that is not a reminder) is not the same as a rule stated in the rulebook because it's not overriden the same way.
For instance, if rulebook says "A cannot do B" and a cardtext says "A can do B", cardtext takes precedence (1.4 "Golden rule of card"). Now if two cards effects are at odds with one another, the "cannot" effect takes precedence (I have to find the reference to this to be complete.)

Subject 2) To which extend is a minion under a wake effect considered as being untapped or not for purpose of blocking and playing reaction cards?
This is the core of the subject. Is "Speed Demon" seeing tapped minions under a wake effect as tapped?
Wake states: "This reacting minion can play reaction cards and attempt to block as though (or as if) untapped until the current action is concluded." (both form exist, they are equivalent).
Speed Demon (or Sleeping Mind in the old time ) states "Tapped minions cannot block this action".

I'll consider Wake's second effect first, "This reacting minion can attempt to block as though untapped". What is does is to widen the set of eligible minions that can block. (rule 6.2.2.1 "Who May Attempt to Block").

Could we also say that for blocking purpose, he is globally considered untapped, and therefore Speed Demon doesn't see it as a "tapped" minion?
To infirme this, let's consider wake's first effect.

Wake's first effect supersedes the rulebook rule 1.6.3.6 "A ready untapped minion can play a reaction card in response...". As previously, can we consider that for all the purpose of resolving the reaction card, he is considered untapped?
If so, it would mean that it would be possible to play a reaction card that says "tap to..." with a tapped minion (eg. Babble). Which is currently not the case (source: LSJ ).

So it would be contradictory: Babble doesn't see the reacting minion as untapped, but Speed Demon would?

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 17 Dec 2014 08:48 by Ankha.
More
17 Dec 2014 08:49 #68223 by Ankha
PS: for clarification, Pascal says that wake effects should read "{even though} tapped" instead of "{as if} untapped".

Prince of Paris, France
More
17 Dec 2014 14:30 #68226 by jamesatzephyr

That's not how I see it

Did God speak?

Look, you put your ideas up in a public forum for criticism. I point out with a valid ruling that what you want won't work that way. You decide that how you see it is more valid than, you know, an actual ruling, and then pout and decide your opinion is more important. A ruling has been made on the same wording. It tells you you are wrong. If you believe you are not wrong, you are the one who thinks he speaks with the voice of God.
More
17 Dec 2014 17:38 - 17 Dec 2014 17:40 #68231 by Ankha
I give up. Why bother spending an hour writting a full reasoning with sources and an explicit though process?
I was hoping for something like "no, look, your premise A is wrong" or "hmm, indeed there's something weird". Or no answer at all if you don't have time after all.

What pities me is that you do have time to drop by, write a few authoritative unargumented lines (thus my reference to God) and jump on a troll-bait (the same reference to God). I'm certain it doesn't make the forum a better place.

Prince of Paris, France
Last edit: 17 Dec 2014 17:40 by Ankha.
More
17 Dec 2014 18:24 #68233 by BenPeal

That's not how I see it

Did God speak?

Look, you put your ideas up in a public forum for criticism. I point out with a valid ruling that what you want won't work that way. You decide that how you see it is more valid than, you know, an actual ruling, and then pout and decide your opinion is more important. A ruling has been made on the same wording. It tells you you are wrong. If you believe you are not wrong, you are the one who thinks he speaks with the voice of God.

LSJ was not infallible, and reversed his own rulings when presented with sufficient information. If you'd like to discuss the merits of the information Ankha has presented, go ahead. If you'd like to ignore them, go ahead. If you're just here to shit-talk, then leave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erol
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds