file 2 Player VTES Rules

20 Sep 2015 17:57 #73260 by extrala
Replied by extrala on topic Re: 2 Player VTES Rules
The Lasombra had collected 3 different 2-player variant rules on his site: Might be worth checking if you're interested in 2-player VTES.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2015 18:35 #73261 by Kushiel
Replied by Kushiel on topic Re: 2 Player VTES Rules

And I wonder if Ben forgot to highlight the "irony button" when suggesting to select cards for two-player V:tES ...
:unsure:

The context in which he posted that was a thread that's about creating a "VTES Basic" variant of the game for new players.

More
21 Sep 2015 00:41 - 21 Sep 2015 01:33 #73265 by koko Loco
Replied by koko Loco on topic Re: 2 Player VTES Rules
Whether Ben was being ironic, comical or serious is totally fine. The fact remains he still has drawn my interest in the possibility of an "official two player version" of this game. As the player base doesn't seems to be shrinking. I think it would be a great way of recruiting and introducing new players to the game. Also depending on ones timezone you may be lucky if there is one person to play online via Jol or Lackey many times.

For the record, I believe you can't beat a 4-5 game of Vtes for fun, challenge and good old wheeling and dealing. However whats to stop us having official rules for a 2 player version as well, like many other card games? Like Magic the Gathering for instance.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2015 01:33 by koko Loco.

More
21 Sep 2015 00:42 - 21 Sep 2015 00:44 #73266 by koko Loco
Thank's for the input TwoRazorReign, sounds like you have put a lot of deep thought into "alternate house rules for 2 players". You have a lot of great idea's there.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2015 00:44 by koko Loco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwoRazorReign

More
21 Sep 2015 00:55 - 21 Sep 2015 04:14 #73267 by koko Loco

The Lasombra had collected 3 different 2-player variant rules on his site: Might be worth checking if you're interested in 2-player VTES.

Thank's exrala, over the years I've played these and other 2 player variations, and some seem to have worked better than others. Indeed even in our own local group we have had a few 2 player in house rules of our own. One for example: we all had "Fight Club" decks, first rule of Fight Club is there is no "strike combat ends" 60% of your deck must be combat cards. Decks are 60 cards, the game starts with Tension in the Ranks being middle of the table in play. Some Clan's of course are more favored than others for combat of course. Certain cards where banned from this format, pentex, sense dep, brain wash ect ect

Was also a great deal of fun playing these 2 player games while waiting for more players to show up at the local meeting place, as games where very fast.

However our 2-player rules restrict far too many cards/game mechanics, and was more for fun than a submitted 2-player official rule for serious consideration.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2015 04:14 by koko Loco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: holland227, self biased

More
24 Sep 2015 17:14 #73316 by cnislev
Replied by cnislev on topic Re: 2 Player VTES Rules
I agree that combat is a big problem - or at least all decks would need to focus a lot more on combat defense than in 5-player games.

At the Danish Nationals a few years back, all players were encouraged to bring a good two-player deck, and we spent time in between main games with some 1-1 jousting. Combat did win out I think (weenie CEL, in particular). I brought 25 brainwash, some pentex, wash and parthenon, which worked well, but not invincible (Wider Viev being a big problem... :-) )

Perhaps as you say a solution could be to make diablerie more difficult (i.e. requiring two actions, or having the diablerising vampire not untapping the next turn) or even impossible, e.g. combined with a "self-healing" mechanism - say, any methusaleh can spend a master phase action and burn 3 pool to move a vampire in torpor to the ready region.

Maybe also introducing a side board option and play best of three would be useful.

Overall, I think the approach need to be to identify the main problems that 2-player games face - combat definitely being one. I used to think that stealth bleed would also be a problem, now Im not so sure.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds