file Submission: Sneaky-Peaky (!Nosferatu Retainer)

04 May 2018 19:52 - 04 May 2018 19:55 #86451 by LivesByProxy
Why not something like:

Retainer:
"If this vampire would cause your prey to burn one or more cards, your prey burns 1 pool and this vampire may burn 1 blood to unlock."

So that it combos with cards like Dirty Little Secrets, Arson, Feline Saboteur, etc.

This is what I don't understand about VTES. The ways of bleeding or burning pool are so few, even though it's the primary means of accomplishing the goal of the game - ousting your prey. And the best bleed bonuses are found in one particular discipline, which would be fine if that discipline wasn't also good at a million other things.

Player's aren't ousted for running out of library cards, so there is no milling strategy.

Weapons cost a million pool, but the best locations in the game are cheap or free.

Certain cards beg to have certain disciplines or discipline combinations, but then don't have a discipline requirement.

As far as I'm aware, no cards actively grant VPs or remove VP from other players. Only a few cards play with the Edge.

Contesting cards (which I guess could be part of a strategy) are just an attrition war rather than some kind of mind-game. (Compare the contesting rules in Vampire [both players pay 1 pool until someone gives up] to the "Psi Game" in Android: Netrunner where each player secretly wagers 0, 1, or 2 $, and the winner is the one who spends the most. Such rules would be better for Vampire IMO.)

Certain keywords actually have rules intrinsic to them, e.g. "Prince of X", "Archbishop", "Infernal", "Sterile", etc. But other 'keywords' have no inherent rules, e.g. "Camarilla", "Sabbat" "Black Hand", "Anarch", "Seraph", etc. which would be known as traits or types in any other game.

This game is fun and cool in it's own way, but so much about it just goes against my internalized game sense.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.
Last edit: 04 May 2018 19:55 by LivesByProxy. Reason: formatting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds