file List of cards to ban

16 Feb 2011 21:13 #1647 by Kushiel
Replied by Kushiel on topic Re: List of cards to ban

I have stated before banning Villein is not the right move. There seems to be a lot of people interested in it. It was a bad call to take away the only negative things with Villein. Before you needed to take at least 2 pool or not be able to use it. It is superior to minion tap because it is a trifle and is basically a minion tap that there are fewer of and punishes the use of minion tap which is not a bad thing. A card that good needs something negative about it and the ruling made it too good. This organization just got off the ground. It would be nice to see it start by being active and address this, but I think pride would be too much the factor.

Yes, you keep bringing this up. You should probably know that LSJ didn't make a ruling on how the card worked, he just clarified it for people who'd been playing it wrongly.

For what it's worth, I almost never see anyone play Villein and take less than two blood from a vampire, so I don't think that ruling that it doesn't work as printed would really solve any issues (and would also introduce errata, which is inherently bad).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2011 21:15 #1648 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Re: List of cards to ban

I don't think I'm really comfortable with a person who has such a highly distorted meta-game leading the discussion about banning one or another card. You _do_ at least recognize that your play enviornment is far different than the ones that you are seeking to drastically change through these bans, right?

Trust me, if I was counting on our meta, I'll be proposing to ban Torn Signpost :laugh:

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
16 Feb 2011 21:21 #1649 by Kushiel

If Villein only walpapered MT there will be no powerlevel problems (availability problem will be still here). Unfortunately, by being a trifle, which, generally, means "free", it also walpapered mostly all other blood management options for mid+ cap vamps.

Blood Doll is so much better than Villein for midcap decks. I'd think that you'd understand that, given your combat-heavy metagame.

Also, surely I can't predict future...

Then stop trying to solve hypothetical problems.

More
16 Feb 2011 21:24 #1650 by Robba Yaga
Replied by Robba Yaga on topic Re: List of cards to ban
Its a 10 pool swing early in the game, if you have vote control. Usually, the pool has to be split to get votes from other parts of the table and late in the game, it may still be a 4 pool swing, but its only two damage from the vote and a KRC does more damage.

More
16 Feb 2011 22:17 #1653 by Kushiel

Its a 10 pool swing early in the game, if you have vote control. Usually, the pool has to be split to get votes from other parts of the table

That "usually" isn't anything like a guarantee, though. And even if you're not taking all those beads for yourself, you're still creating a bigger swing on the gamestate than most other vote cards do.

and late in the game, it may still be a 4 pool swing, but its only two damage from the vote and a KRC does more damage.

In an endgame, KRC still has less of a swing effect than Parity Shift, despite doing more damage. KRC results in a swing of two (your prey loses three, you lose one) whereas Parity results in a swing of four.

I'm not at all advocating that Parity needs to be changed or banned, mind you, but it's certainly strong.

More
16 Feb 2011 22:53 - 16 Feb 2011 22:53 #1655 by Adonai
Replied by Adonai on topic Re: List of cards to ban

This organization just got off the ground. It would be nice to see it start by being active and address this, ...

The V:EKN has been decisive and has addressed this.

See also:
2011 Tournament Rules

www.vekn.net/index.php/tournament-rules

NO CHANGES

This is the perfect, appropriate, timely response.

If history tells us anything, it will tell us that there will be no changes to the tournament rules prior to 2012 as the rules for this year have been set.

So, those agitating for change have 8-10 months to actually make their arguments cogent, cohesive, coherent, and water-tight.

Until then, those that know V:EKN has already done the right thing will just get to ride it out.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2011 22:53 by Adonai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie813

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds