question-circle How do *you* assess card value?

04 Mar 2011 22:04 #2075 by brandonsantacruz
Ever since Jeff stopped selling single vtes cards online I've had a harder and harder time trying to evaluate what cards are worth. On ebay there may be only one or two of some card for sale, if at all, making it difficult to find an average price. What I've done most recently was assume that crypt cards are worth $0.50 trade value unless they are somewhat desirable or hard to come by. For library cards, I evaluate rares as crap, ok, good, or really good and also modify for how difficult they are to come by. Thus, Eye of Blades, while somewhat difficult to come by, ranks among the worst rares in recent memory. Even still, I'd put it's value at about $1.

How do you personally assess card value? Has the fact that VTES has ceased production affected your views on this?

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2011 22:35 #2076 by Thargor
The prices will be in UKP (£), but I've always used HACards as a vague judge of card-value. Decent shop to buy from, too, always get a response via email and they're quick to process orders and get them sent out...

www.hacards.com

If it helps, I use this for up-to-date exchange rates...

More
05 Mar 2011 05:29 #2077 by Juggernaut1981
I tend to value cards entirely on what they are worth to me to have. So I might be willing to trade away cards if I don't need them at far below what others desire them at...

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
06 Mar 2011 10:08 #2122 by protean
I like using ccggamez.com/ as a ballpark and then cross ref with eBay but at the end of the day it's how bad I need it and how much I have paid/traded in the past. Hacards are nice but I find them a little overpriced for the rares but have bought from them in the past

More
06 Mar 2011 14:50 #2135 by bakija

Ever since Jeff stopped selling single vtes cards online I've had a harder and harder time trying to evaluate what cards are worth.

Not to digress into pedantic nit-picking, but what do you mean by "what cards are worth"? Worth for what? For you to sell them at? For you to be willing to pay for them? For you to look at your binder and say "Mwahaha! My cards are worth soooooo much!"?

If you are trying to figure out what to sell cards for, e-bay isn't out of the realm of reason as a starting point. Something like (in US $) .25 for commons, .50 for vampires, .75 for uncommons, a buck or two for rares, and adjust for the obvious hard to get/very desirable cards (some commons you'll be hard pressed to give away; some rares people will willingly play $10+ for).

In terms of buying, cards are worth what you feel like paying for them. In terms of trading, give someone cards you don't want for cards that you want. I like trading cards with people, but I'm always a tad put off when people are, like, checking price lists for their trades. Not 'cause I'm trying to fleece them or anything, but 'cause it is all very arbitrary anyway.

More
06 Mar 2011 17:31 #2142 by brandonsantacruz

In terms of buying, cards are worth what you feel like paying for them. In terms of trading, give someone cards you don't want for cards that you want. I like trading cards with people, but I'm always a tad put off when people are, like, checking price lists for their trades. Not 'cause I'm trying to fleece them or anything, but 'cause it is all very arbitrary anyway.

Subjective, yes. Arbitrary, no. If someone said "I'll buy that Enkil Cog from you for $2," how would you evaluate that offer? If you were throwing darts at a dart board to determine what you should sell it for, it might be good or bad. If you thought about what someone else might reasonably be willing to pay, I doubt that you'd sell that Enkil Cog for $2.

I don't tend to pay cash to people for cards because, well, my money is usually worth more to me than individual cards. Is this a vestige of a time when I had less money? Maybe. On the other hand, the amount of money you get for cards is generally insignificant (this isn't MtG, after all). That is fairly subjective, but also fairly constant view of mine.

I prefer to trade things I'm willing to part with for things other people are willing to part with, either because I want the card or I know someone who does. This requires some kind of rough price indexing, which I feel is also negotiable. That said, I don't play enough right now to be motivated to trade.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds