question-circle How do *you* assess card value?

06 Mar 2011 18:36 #2145 by Robert Goudie
I think of card list prices as sort of appraised value according to the seller and a purchase as an appraised value according to the buyer. But once someone has actually spent their money as a buyer then they are putting their money where there mouth is and that gives the buyer's appraisal a lot more weight. Average a bunch of buyer's appraisals and I think you have a good way to value cards.

In years past I kept a database of sales to calculate average selling price over a period of time. Given the uptick in activity it may be work reviving that someday.

For now, I just search eBay and use the Completed Listings filter to see what items have actually sold for recently.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2011 18:41 #2146 by bakija

Subjective, yes. Arbitrary, no. If someone said "I'll buy that Enkil Cog from you for $2," how would you evaluate that offer? If you were throwing darts at a dart board to determine what you should sell it for, it might be good or bad. If you thought about what someone else might reasonably be willing to pay, I doubt that you'd sell that Enkil Cog for $2.

Oh, sure. Some cards are clearly more desirable and harder to get than others. But you don't really need an objective price point to determine that you don't generally want to give someone an Enkil Cog for $2.00. And in the end, if you do have an Enkil Cog you want to swap to someone for a stack of other cards that you want, does it really matter if you get an exact monetary value in return, as opposed to a bunch of good cards that you wanted that seems generally reasonable?

More
06 Mar 2011 19:14 #2147 by Amenophobis
Is there really someone who would want to part from their Enkil Cog once they have one? :evil:

More
06 Mar 2011 22:10 #2157 by Dr.Mafrune

The prices will be in UKP (£), but I've always used HACards as a vague judge of card-value. Decent shop to buy from, too, always get a response via email and they're quick to process orders and get them sent out...

www.hacards.com

If it helps, I use this for up-to-date exchange rates...

Price level in England is far to high, for financial/economic reasons, therefore I don´t think House of Atreides is a reliable source to search for prices. Too expensive !!!
My personal guide is close to a french card seller called Tyler on vtes-forums.

:TEM::AUS::DEM:

More
07 Mar 2011 00:22 #2161 by brandonsantacruz

Is there really someone who would want to part from their Enkil Cog once they have one? :evil:

I traded the one I drafted because I feel like Enkil Cog is too gimmicky. If I want to act out of turn, I'll play a malkavian ;)

What I got in return I don't remember, but they were similar in value. I also traded my Preternatural Strengths for some older cards that came out when I wasn't playing and again, got something like fair market value. I also hoped that PS would be re-printed, but no such luck....

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
07 Mar 2011 01:59 #2165 by KevinM

How do you personally assess card value?

Cards from the 60-card sets usually don't have much value, since you can buy two boxes and have all the rares you'll ever need.

For the other sets, my starting lines are as follows:
- Non-starter Rares, $8.
- Starter-Rares, $4.

- Non-starter Uncommons, $2.
- Starter-Uncommons, $1.

- Non-starter Commons, $1.
- Starter-commons, $GIVEAWAY.

- Non-starter Vampires, $GIVEAWAY.
- Starter-Vampires, $4.

Obviously, those prices fluctuate depending on set size, the community's and my own perception of the card in-question, usually compared apples-to-apples, fr.ex. Monastery of Shadows vs Touch of Clarity vs Target:Retainer, the availability of the card in real-life trades, and eBay prices in-general.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds