compress Nations' Cup at EC 2012 Budapest

21 May 2012 20:12 #30885 by milcsix
Dear Kindred

So here it is the design of "Nations' Cup" wich could replace the Legendary Vampire Tournament if that one is not applicable.

The goal is to organize a prestigious constructed tournament (like Legendary Vampire) at the EC 2012 Budapest.

Each country can register 3 (exactly 3!) players.
(It is to each country's playgroup to agree in those 3 players. If a country cannot agree and for example 4 players are registering from a country then that country is not allowed to play.)

The organizers guarantee that there will be no table with 2 (or even 3) players of the same country. (Some "archon magic" required...)

After the 3 preliminary rounds we summarize the GWs/VPs/Tps by country and this way we will get the current "country standings".

The top 5 countries of the "country standings" will play in the final.
Each country will delegate 1 player to the final. The delegate may be elected automatically (by the standings) or not automatically - it is not decided yet.

The winner of the final will win the "Nations' Cup of EC 2012 Budapest".

What is your opinion? Good idea? Feasible? Does it have any drawbacks which cannot be seen at once?

Thanks in advance: Milan, EC 2012 Event Director

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2012 20:21 #30887 by Silmegil
I would say, that this is a really interesting idea. I am little unsure of how delegates will be elected say in countries, which have shattered metagames and different opinions about who should represent that country. I would be also interested to know, what would happen if some country could provide only two players? - huge handicap, or somekind of backup rule for this situation?

More
21 May 2012 20:47 #30888 by Izaak

What is your opinion?

Great idea.

Feasible?

Probably. I think 3 per country is a bit too much though. Ideally you'd want to have 25 players for this event, which would limit it to 8 countries.

Does it have any drawbacks which cannot be seen at once?

Probaby, but you should really do this. Great idea for a side-event.

More
21 May 2012 21:03 #30890 by Jeff Kuta
The "Archon magic" part of this makes me curious about offering a chance for as much participation as possible, including the potential for multiple teams from the same country. Note: For my example, number of teams based purely on their ability to field teams of 3, not based on any population criteria. It could be the case that Finland or other smaller country could have disproportionate numbers at the EC.

Suppose this were the list of teams:

France A
France B
France C
Germany A
Germany B
Germany C
Italy A
Italy B
Italy C
Spain A
Spain B
Spain C
United Kingdom A
United Kingdom B
United Kingdom C

Austria A
Austria B
Finland A
Finland B
Netherlands A
Netherlands B
Portugal A
Portugal B
Sweden A
Sweden B

Croatia A
Denmark A
Hungary A
Poland A
Switzerland A

This is a total of 30 teams. Since no country has more than 3 teams, then you divide the field into 3 pots of 10 teams, each country keeping the same number (1-10) assuring no more than 1 country in each pot, designated X, Y or Z.

Within the Archon, you keep standings as three separate tournaments, with a twist for tables for each round.

Round 1: Each Pot is handled separately.
X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, X8, X9, 10 (these 10 make tables)
Y1, Y2, Y3, ...
Z1, Z2, Z3, ...

Round 2: Pots mix.
X1, Y2, Z3, X4, Y5, Z6, X7, Y8, Z9, X10 (these 10 make tables)
Y1, Z2, X3, ...
Z1, X2, Y3, ...

Round 3: Pots mix.
X1, Z2, Y3, X4, Z5, Y6, X7, Z8, Y9, X10 (these 10 make tables)
Y1, X2, Z3, ...
Z1, Y2, X3, ...

As long as no country has a different number (say, Finland having X6 and Y7), then this structure no issues with cross-pot play.

Potentially, the number of pots you start with is limited only by how large you want each pot to be (which is close to the number of participating countries). You may want to cap the number of pots based on how many countries can field an arbitrary number of teams. If only Germany and France can field 4 teams, then perhaps limiting the event to 3 teams is best.

Also, on the off chance that a country cannot field a team of 3, perhaps they can form an allegiance with another small country as long as neither has full representation otherwise.

Well, enough of my long-windedness. I think the idea is a great one and hope it is a success.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
21 May 2012 22:48 #30897 by KevinM
I'd make each country only able to send two players, not three, so that a)countries that only send two players to the EC are able to participate, b)there are far fewer chances of two players being at the same table than three, and c)it could be a realistic goal to make sure teammates NEVER sit at the same table, whereas this is almost impossible with a three-person team.

Other than that, sounds like a fun idea!

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
22 May 2012 05:41 #30904 by milcsix
In the original idea only one team per country is the limit
Otherwise it is not really a Nations' Cup if for example 2 Finns are in the final is it? :)

I think 2 players are not really a "team". Moreower last year there was 17 nations according to Extrala so 3 players are required to provide the proper attendance.

Maybe 2 players should be allowed with certain penalty - ideas are welcome!
(The biggest penalty is: the third non-existent player would be counted if he/she scored 0 VP 0 TP each round)

Cheers

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds