compress Nations' Cup at EC 2012 Budapest

22 May 2012 11:59 #30960 by Jeff Kuta

Jeff Kuta: in your example 30 teams form 90 players and 18 tables (with 5 players per table).
I cannot see why you write "these 10 make tables" can you tell me please?

I was not so clear. I meant take those pots of 10 teams each and create the standard number of V:TES tables with them, in this case 2 tables of 5. It would be sort of like running 3 simultaneous mini-tournaments. If the pot size were 8, 9 or 12, then use Archon for those size tournaments.

I suggested cross-pot play so that there would be fewer opportunities for players to face each other in rounds 2 and 3, though X1 could still face X4, etc.

When determining the final standings, only the top scoring team from each country would be considered. In my example, if both Finnish teams earned 3x GWs and were best in their respective pots, then only the best one would qualify them for the final and the country placing 6th overall would get a bid. The Finnish delegation could then decide which individual participates in the final in accordance with the other Nations Cup rules.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2012 12:10 #30961 by Jeff Kuta
I still am not explaining this right.

Each pot would be run as a separate tournament consisting of 3 mini tournaments. This allows for multiple teams from a single country.

Within a pot of size 10, run 3 simultaneous tournaments of size 10 players. This makes it easier to track people within the Archon and minimizes "magic" needed.

In each subsequent round, rotate the teammates across the mini-tournaments. This is the actual mechanism to avoid teammates playing against each other within a pod.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
22 May 2012 19:11 #30999 by milcsix
OK I think we should come back to this "Archon magic" issue later when all other issues are done. I will contact you Jeff Kuta for more clarification if you don't mind.

More
23 May 2012 07:15 #31024 by Xaddam
Archon seating is not an actual requirement for santioned tournaments, afaik. And random seating is not a requirement, seeing how the archon is not random. The finals would probably not fit requirements, but you can enter the preliminaries as a 3r (no finals) tournament and play the nation's cup finals unsanctioned.

Adam Esbjörnsson,
Prince of Örebro

More
23 May 2012 07:23 - 23 May 2012 07:45 #31027 by Lönkka

The Finnish delegation could then decide which individual participates in the final in accordance with the other Nations Cup rules.

YES!
Fisticuffs at twilight!

Saunan takana on vielä tilaa!

Finnish :POT: Politics!
Last edit: 23 May 2012 07:45 by Lönkka.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
23 May 2012 08:03 #31033 by KevinM

Archon seating is not an actual requirement for santioned tournaments, afaik.

The rule is:

"The judge will group players randomly and impartially, using prepared index cards, a computerized system for generating random groupings, or another impartial randomizing method. Regardless of the method used, the players are to be grouped randomly and impartially, without regard to the identities of the players behind the numbers (or cards or other method used to designate players in the system) and without regard to any personal relationship between the players or personal disposition of any player toward another. Use of the optimal seating chart, found in The Archon tournament tracking spreadsheet, is encouraged."

And random seating is not a requirement, seeing how the archon is not random.[/quote]This has been argued before, and the result was that The Archon's seating charts were (re)defined as "optimal". Which, if you are a competent T.O., they are, certainly enough to fit under the definition of "randomly and impartially". But if you have memorized that entire tab, you are a god. ;)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds