question-circle Spectator Interference

08 Jun 2012 20:25 - 08 Jun 2012 20:27 #31896 by 1up20x6
Replied by 1up20x6 on topic Re: Spectator Interference

No need to do anything about it, since spectators can't talk with players.
They can only talk to a Judge.
Those spectators where breaking the Tournament Rules.

A spectator of a game is defined as any person other than a judge or an organizer who is not playing in that game. A player who is ousted from a game is considered a spectator for the remainder of the round. All spectators are expected to remain silent during the course of a game and are not permitted to communicate with players in any way while a game is in progress. Spectators who believe that they have observed rules violations should inform a judge, but they must not interfere with the game. Players have the right to request that any spectator not observe their game. All such requests must be made through a judge, who may grant or deny the request as he or she sees fit. The judge or organizer may choose to prohibit all specatators at any table(s) or round(s) of the tournament.

Well, the problem is that there is the formal rule (no communication from spectators) and what actually happens (there is plenty of communication).

It's kind of like how there are plenty of laws against speeding or jaywalking, yet those are rarely enforced and people largely ignored them. For example:

- You're ousted (and now a spectator). "I have to go, so can you proxy the Coven so I can take my card back?" (Rules violation!)

- "Hey Joe, the rest of us are going for lunch. Do you want us to bring you something?" (Rules violation!)

- "Honey, can I borrow the room key?" (Rules violation!)

Technically, these would all be rules violations. Practically, I have *never* seen someone get sanctioned for any such of these incidents.

Of course those aren't treated as rule violations. It would be ridiculous for a judge to disqualify someone for something like that. Rules should be treated with discretion so that events like this do not occur.

Any deck can win, whether you're using stealth bleed, rush combat, or Soul Gem combos. It doesn't matter if your minions use Auspex, Thaumaturgy, or Melpominee. What matters is the Methuselah uses Presence. That is how deals are made. That is how games are won.

No, you misunderstand. I don't want...
Last edit: 08 Jun 2012 20:27 by 1up20x6.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2012 20:29 #31897 by echiang
Replied by echiang on topic Re: Spectator Interference

Technically, these would all be rules violations. Practically, I have *never* seen someone get sanctioned for any such of these incidents.

What is your suggestion?

I don't have one. Which is why I started the thread, in the hopes that wiser people might be able to provide a good one.

Pointing out that it's already against the rules is true and a good point, but that doesn't solve the problem if in reality minor infractions are happening all the time. Most of the time, the impact is very negligible but the problem is when there is a disproportionate impact (which is more likely if there are only a tense couple of minutes left in the round).

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
08 Jun 2012 20:31 #31898 by Squidalot
Shoot all violators. Last man, woman, child or dog standing wins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: echiang, Boris The Blade, Pendargon

More
08 Jun 2012 20:32 #31899 by Squidalot

What is your suggestion?

I don't have one. Which is why I started the thread, in the hopes that wiser people might be able to provide a good one.

Pointing out that it's already against the rules is true and a good point, but that doesn't solve the problem if in reality minor infractions are happening all the time. Most of the time, the impact is very negligible but the problem is when there is a disproportionate impact (which is more likely if there are only a tense couple of minutes left in the round).

why don't you:
1. time your own table.
2. that way you know how long you have left.
3. pause it and shoo away onlookers as required or fetch judge as you see fit.

More
08 Jun 2012 20:38 #31900 by echiang
Replied by echiang on topic Re: Spectator Interference

why don't you:
1. time your own table.

I do like this idea. It does make sense for a lot of reasons. I actually ended up doing this for the storyline tournament (though mainly for practical reasons since I was also playing in the tournament).

However, I can also see that some judges/organizers would prefer there to be an official clock. Having every table on a slightly different timer could be a logistical nightmare for large tournaments. It could also create timing issues for the next round (what do you mean your entire table agreed to take a 30 minute break? that's going to hold everything up!).

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
08 Jun 2012 20:39 - 08 Jun 2012 20:40 #31901 by 1up20x6
Replied by 1up20x6 on topic Re: Spectator Interference

What is your suggestion?

why don't you:
1. time your own table.

I might have misread the initial post, but it seems to me like this is exactly what he did.

EDIT: Oh, I'm sorry, I misunderstood. You mean for everyone to do this as a rule. In that case, exactly what echiang said before me.

Any deck can win, whether you're using stealth bleed, rush combat, or Soul Gem combos. It doesn't matter if your minions use Auspex, Thaumaturgy, or Melpominee. What matters is the Methuselah uses Presence. That is how deals are made. That is how games are won.

No, you misunderstand. I don't want...
Last edit: 08 Jun 2012 20:40 by 1up20x6.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds