file Would You Support/Play a New Game based in WoD w/VTES Roots?

05 Jul 2012 19:35 #32827 by Ohlmann
Well, Roddimus, for me you take the idea in the wrong way. I don't play a game because it's VtM based, but because it is good. So create a good game, I will play it - maybe replace vtes for it if it is really good, and that, regardless of the license.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2012 20:45 - 05 Jul 2012 20:52 #32828 by RoddimusPrime

Well, Roddimus, for me you take the idea in the wrong way. I don't play a game because it's VtM based, but because it is good. So create a good game, I will play it - maybe replace vtes for it if it is really good, and that, regardless of the license.

The whole idea is making a game that is good. A lot of people have talked about an LCG version of VTES. I understand for you and some others it would not work. But, for some of us we would enjoy it and if it proved itself to some other VTES players they may play it as well. That doesn't mean you set VTES aside. And if it were not something akin to Netrunner being revitalized then it would have to be a completely different game. One that could still be in WoD or maybe not at all. I enjoy the deep mechanics and unique formula the game has at it's base. That again, is the first important factor. How to apply that for a best scenario is the second part. Obviously we have a set of mixed opinions already. Lastly, lets not forget the plethora of people this could open a new game up to (be it an LCG or something else entirely). The existing VTES player base would not be the soul target for such a game and most likely have a much broader target (afterall, it has to make financial sense). No offense, I am not expecting VTES to come back a second time beyond player support and I enjoy the idea of taking some of the mechanics we love about VTES and either creating a new game or revitalizing it into an LCG or something similar.

If it were taking the mechanics of the game and influencing an entirely new game then of course that is a bit more of a radical jump. But, that is why I posted. To see what interests people and what people would support. To identify and take what makes VTES good and appealing and employ that into another game. It will be interesting to see how people would feel about that or what they would want to see. I don't think this forum is even broad enough to catch the statistical data and ideas/interest needed, but it is a start.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2012 20:52 by RoddimusPrime.

More
05 Jul 2012 21:00 #32830 by KevinM

I don't think this forum is even broad enough to catch the statistical data and ideas/interest needed, but it is a start.

If not here, the center of the VTES world, then where???

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
05 Jul 2012 22:20 #32835 by Mael

Good answers. So you would be willing to play a game set in WoD, that was not a VTES clone. What about a game that had some of the very base ideas employed in VTES (be it in WoD or new)? Here are some examples. Concepts like political intrigue, combat, manipulation, and main/secondary objective's like predator/prey. It may not even have to be WoD or completely card based, but uses some of the base ideas that VTES intertwines so well and uniquely. Not a clone, but employing a similar unique set of ideas into a game.

None of those concepts are things that would put me off playing a game if that's what you're asking. As others have mentioned though, the more important thing than the theme or setting of the game is that the game be good. I'll happily play a board, card, miniature or computer game if it's a fun and enjoyable experience.
If you haven't played it already, you should try out the aforementioned Vampire: Prince of the City as an example of a board game which combines some of those concepts to reasonably good effect.

My advice is that I don't think you should be looking at the mechanics of V:TES for inspiration. Rather you should look at the setting and flavour you want for your game, and come up with your own implementation that captures this feel.
Mechanics includes things like the predator/prey dynamic, spending pool to influence vampires, etc. Keep or adapt them if they suit the general feel of your game, but don't start your design assuming that you must have these as features.

Also, have you ever designed a game before? If you haven't then you should consider designing a small/simple game before you try something too complicated.
If you have designed a game previously, have you had one published?

More
06 Jul 2012 02:30 #32838 by RoddimusPrime

I don't think this forum is even broad enough to catch the statistical data and ideas/interest needed, but it is a start.

If not here, the center of the VTES world, then where???

I am strictly saying that this is one portion of a pie. You cannot judge whether a game is worthy of publishing strictly based on one forum. Take it to the White Wolf forum, Board Game Geek, and other sites/forums. Get together and playtest with local people. Those are all examples. I would never base an entire game on one forum alone, even if the setting was WoD with some overlapping mechanics. It's a good place to start like I said, but it doesn't make good business sense to place all your eggs in one basket.

Good answers. So you would be willing to play a game set in WoD, that was not a VTES clone. What about a game that had some of the very base ideas employed in VTES (be it in WoD or new)? Here are some examples. Concepts like political intrigue, combat, manipulation, and main/secondary objective's like predator/prey. It may not even have to be WoD or completely card based, but uses some of the base ideas that VTES intertwines so well and uniquely. Not a clone, but employing a similar unique set of ideas into a game.

None of those concepts are things that would put me off playing a game if that's what you're asking. As others have mentioned though, the more important thing than the theme or setting of the game is that the game be good. I'll happily play a board, card, miniature or computer game if it's a fun and enjoyable experience.
If you haven't played it already, you should try out the aforementioned Vampire: Prince of the City as an example of a board game which combines some of those concepts to reasonably good effect.

My advice is that I don't think you should be looking at the mechanics of V:TES for inspiration. Rather you should look at the setting and flavour you want for your game, and come up with your own implementation that captures this feel.
Mechanics includes things like the predator/prey dynamic, spending pool to influence vampires, etc. Keep or adapt them if they suit the general feel of your game, but don't start your design assuming that you must have these as features.

Also, have you ever designed a game before? If you haven't then you should consider designing a small/simple game before you try something too complicated.
If you have designed a game previously, have you had one published?

I have helped playtest various games and have played many throughout my history. And yes I have worked with others who actually submitted games for publishing in the not so distant past. The concept isn't foreign to me in other words. Although I do agree if I were to solely publish a game on my own that I would start with something perhaps a bit less complicated to get not only the process worked out, but utilizing connections, establish a reputation with a publisher (if not self publishing) or manufacturers, etc. Then I could use that combined with what I already have in my experience and dive full force. Would probably still want a partner in crime sort of speak.

The main thing I can tell you about anything whether it is learning to launch a business, website, managing them, or even other things like learning new sports, etc. is that it takes ambition, persistence, and focus. I might be just as suited if not more so to a digital realm which would be a good segue into an app, etc. So I have a lot of options and some connections. But, I didn't make this post trying to gauge whether I in particular should go down this complicated venture in developing something akin to a WoD background, etc. Maybe someone else or a group of people would be more suited. However, I do like seeing the reactions and observing the social crowd surrounding this topic and such a potential.

More
06 Jul 2012 05:27 #32839 by alek
If I would support one of the proposed alternatives it would be LCG format, but not as a new game (like netrunner LCG which is not the same netrunner and new cards can't be played with older ones) but as a continuation with different distribution format

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds