file playing with a randomized selection of decks

30 Nov 2012 06:22 #42044 by KevinM
We did an entire tournament like that in Denver a few months back. iirc There were 14 players and only two of the 14 players were completely happy with what they got.
:)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2012 23:47 #42322 by atomweaver

does anyone enjoy this?

5 players each picking from a selection of unknown decks

does anyone do this?

I have. Its interesting to try and suss out what someone else had in mind with their deckbuilding "on the fly", as it were. So it makes a great skill builidng exercise, although the games themselves tend to be weirdly tentative, particularly early on as everyone is trying to sort out what they're playing...

More
04 Dec 2012 00:39 #42323 by DeathInABottle
It occurs to me that it would be fun to play a tournament where everyone built toolbox decks and then picked them at random. That way, there'd be fairly little confusion, and you'd have the pleasure of playing without too much planning of your next turns (since you wouldn't know the specifics of the deck too well).

More
04 Dec 2012 02:09 #42325 by Adonai

you'd have the pleasure of playing without too much planning of your next turns (since you wouldn't know the specifics of the deck too well).

Hmmm.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

If I don't know that this is the last/only Wake effect in the deck, I'll probably spend most of the game with most of my minions untapped. This is bound to increase timeouts, as potentially all of the players will be hesitant to play forward.

The Succubus Club variant isn't one I'd play in unless I was guaranteed to get my deck back at some point of the event and get to play with it. i.e. the top 5 decks are played by their creators in the finals, or something like that.

More
04 Dec 2012 14:10 #42341 by elotar
Half of the fun of the VTES is deckbuilding, you can kill it, but for what?

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
04 Dec 2012 20:02 #42356 by DeathInABottle

you'd have the pleasure of playing without too much planning of your next turns (since you wouldn't know the specifics of the deck too well).

Hmmm.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

If I don't know that this is the last/only Wake effect in the deck, I'll probably spend most of the game with most of my minions untapped. This is bound to increase timeouts, as potentially all of the players will be hesitant to play forward.

The Succubus Club variant isn't one I'd play in unless I was guaranteed to get my deck back at some point of the event and get to play with it. i.e. the top 5 decks are played by their creators in the finals, or something like that.

That would be a reasonable way of running it, yeah. Additional incentive for people to put real effort into deckbuilding for their opponents.

Half of the fun of the VTES is deckbuilding, you can kill it, but for what?

You'd still be building a deck - you'd just be building it for someone else. And you'd be doing it for a change of pace.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds