file Pentex Subversion vs Star Vamp Build

05 Oct 2014 22:35 - 05 Oct 2014 22:37 #66038 by David_Mac
I've been routinely slammed by Pentex Subversion while running star vamp builds (one 10 cap+, a couple of 3-5 caps for support). Typical process is- Penetex as soon as star comes out, weenies to intercept all efforts by my supporting vamps to remove the Pentex. It completely shuts down most of the builds I've been running if you get unlucky and don't draw into an SR early on or suitable action modifiers to get around weenie blockers.

Anyhow wondering what advice people might have re/ dealing with this card. I'm currently considering running with x5 washes to try ensure one in hand when it drops (Absolutely everyone in my meta seems to carry at least one or two Pentex).
Last edit: 05 Oct 2014 22:37 by David_Mac.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2014 03:54 #66044 by Boris The Blade
Run your own Pentex, at least 2 of them. Pentex is unique, contesting it is the safest way to allow your star to act.

More
06 Oct 2014 08:54 #66052 by Jussi
Like Boris said, Run your own pentex and contest it when you can't wash or sudden reversal a played pentex.

This means that you are likely to play with effective hand size of 5, so you also need to figure out effectiveness of your deck in that case.

If you play a combat oriented star deck, and your star vamp has obfuscate, you could use hidden lurker. So, when your support vampire's action to remove pentex is blocked, you enter combat with your star using hidden lurker.

Deal making is one option. A friend of mine successfully played an Enkidu multirush without any pentex protection. He made a deal with players, that they can choose any vampire that is torporized by Enkidu if he/she removed pentex.

But, usually running pentex of your own is the most solid way to be protected.

!bruj! :CEL: :POT: :PRE: :cap6:
----
Banging trashcans, breaking windows
We'll wake you up tonight

We like the good time, we scream and shout
And that's what fun's about

More
06 Oct 2014 08:54 - 06 Oct 2014 08:56 #66053 by extrala
In general you have different approaches (apart from special cases like Mimir).
  • Counter it when played. Sudden, Wash, Bleeding the Vine, Santaleous are options, but often you don't have these in your hand (or in play) when the situation arises.
  • Contest the Pentex. Same issue as above, you need in that situation, you need it in your hand. you need to afford it. Depending on your deck, one possibility is to Pentex one of your own vampires (e.g. Anarch Convert), and then protect your Pentex. Sounds crazy, but with a wall deck with a star vampire e.g. Goratrix, Lazverinus it's an option. Best case scenario, you have played Anima Gathering with a three cap. vampire with sup. Auspesx before you place the Pentex on him.
  • You remove the Pentex yourself. This often the hardest part. But you have options as well. Maybe you can broker a deal with the player who played the Pentex, and he'll let you remove in exchange for something (especially when done crosstable). Another option is (depending on your clan & disciplines), that you may want to pack a few action modifier which makes it harder or impossible to block, like Horrific Countenance, Mantle of the Moon, Daring the Dawn, or Strange Day.
  • The last option is to ask other players to remove it for you (or at least help with it. Of course this will come with price tag, but it's still better than sitting there for 1.5 hours with no game.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2014 08:56 by extrala.

More
06 Oct 2014 10:48 #66060 by ReverendRevolver
Daring the dawn on the remove action. Ive had luck torping 3+ blockers and removing it anyway, but that takes a few turns. Most timely removals either happened by contesting or ousting who playes the pentex when it hit me in a tournament .

More
16 Oct 2014 00:49 #66655 by Maddog
In our card group it's a little sad that most folks including myself pack 2-3 Pentex Subversion in our decks, to use it on other players main vampires, and to protect our most prized vampire by contesting this card.

It has gotten to the stage that it has put many of us off playing larg cap/star vamps due being screwed/shut down by this card. Cross table allies more times than not don't help get rid of it, or due to the P/Sub being defended by a nasty intercept deck.

I pack 3 Golconda's in my deck also if I'm playing with fat vampires, and attempt to use it on myself if my fatty is P/Sub'd, or sense dep'd, nightmare curse'd ect

Many times I have cursed this card and wish it had never been made, or prayed to the vtes gods that they rid us of this horrible card of evil..however I know I have just got to learn to live with it as I think it's here to stay.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds