question-circle New format during EC 2015 in Poland - discussion

28 Jan 2015 11:35 #68914 by Szewski

Rules:
1. every player have to register 3 decks
2. before every round player chose one deck and play with them, this deck can't be played during another round.
3. Finalist chose his deck before sitting - and choses from whole pile of 3 decks.
4. The tournament will be sanctioned like any regular tournament.

Fun, it makes player skill more obvious than bad luck metagame choice.

But have you considered the deck-swap format? (You bring one deck, leave it to the judge, who distributes all decks randomly among the participants - then you get VPs for both your deck´s success and your success playing. Finalists play their own deck in the final. I really would like to try this!)

swaping is another nice adition...but what about swaping from 3 decks pile?

example: first round: 3 decks pile - swaping one at random
second round: 2 deck pile - swaping one at random
third round: obvious :)

But it will need more time to prepare every round. And how to score? Whole vp will count? From Your game and from game Your decks's playing?
I need more opinion for You, Players :)

Regards
Szewski

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2015 21:13 #68916 by Hakuron
I am NOT in favour of deck-swap:

Some good decks are obviously complex and hard to play and do not suit your style of playing.

Plus, you have the typical problem of somebody else playing with your cards.
What do you do if some drink hits the table and drowns your beloved copies of Summon History?
If you sit at that table, you have at least a chance to react, so you could blame yourself for having been too slow.
No sleeves prevent that kind of damage.

Plus, each player has his own habit of shuffling.

Three times NO. Sorry.

:tore:

National Coordinator Germany
nc [dot] germany [at] magenta [dot] de
The following user(s) said Thank You: dessu

More
28 Jan 2015 21:25 #68917 by Szewski

I am NOT in favour of deck-swap:

Some good decks are obviously complex and hard to play and do not suit your style of playing.

Plus, you have the typical problem of somebody else playing with your cards.
What do you do if some drink hits the table and drowns your beloved copies of Summon History?
If you sit at that table, you have at least a chance to react, so you could blame yourself for having been too slow.
No sleeves prevent that kind of damage.

Plus, each player has his own habit of shuffling.

Three times NO. Sorry.

:tore:

yep, so we're only discuss it and consider different options. Every opinion get's us closer :)

More
29 Jan 2015 08:44 #68928 by alek
I wouldn't mix 3 decks and swapping options. It becomes a little to complex.
I like the idea with swapping decks but have similar concerns like Hakuron concerning lost/ damaged cards. For a big event like EC I think 3 decks option is better.

More
29 Jan 2015 15:33 #68932 by Volpenera

I like this option very much. We have tried it in local tournament and it can be very enjoyable.

agree

Giulio De Cicco

Prince of Trento - Italy

More
29 Jan 2015 16:18 #68934 by Ashur

Plus, you have the typical problem of somebody else playing with your cards. What do you do if some drink hits the table and drowns your beloved copies of Summon History?

Sure, this is a good point. You are right, the deck swap works rather bad in big tournament (although you might want to consider not using your most precious cards in this format!)

But this:

... is a worse point. If you get vps from how your deck works for another player you don´t want to build it too complex.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds