file Online play by mail alternative

11 Sep 2015 05:52 #73026 by Blooded Sand

One of the main problems with JOL is having to deal with non-responsive players.
especially when it is their turn, and they dont show up for weeks,..you can't end their turn for them.

ideas to work around:
1) someone is ousted once not present for period x. Some way to implement vacations.
2) if someone does not act/block/react after period x, action is over and concluded.

A "force action" button for the game creator and maybe some power users who can admin a game when the game creator isn't online?

1) not sure that is good, prefer not auto-ousting anyone. However...
2) ALL admins will be able to do forcible end turn, etc on ALL games. However closing a game by a different admin i am currently thinking of only being possible if Original Admin gives rights to New Admin OR Original Admin is afk for +14 days, then it opens up to most senior admin, who may bump it to next admin in line, iterate

Another problem is people not wanting to hear other peoples politics/foulmouthing. A simple "mute player x" would suffice? so that you only see their actual plays and not the words.

Sounds like you could have a 'game info' channel and a 'chatter' channel. Just block the chatter channel.

Good idea, two separate chat channels are good, with the ability to jump between them.
Would be useful on main chat as well, one chat stream for chatter, one for game requests, one for queries.
Might be simpler to just integrate an IRC client then and have that as the chat channel control.

:assa: :flight: :QUI: :OBF: :POT: :FOR: :TEM: :DOM:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2015 05:58 #73027 by Blooded Sand

I really like the idea of an alternate Jol/Lackey, cheers to Blooded Sand and the input players are giving towards this possible alternate vtes format.

Been wanting to do this for a while, the last few outages and issues have just made me decide to do it without waiting for a data and code copy from George.

I'd hope that this would be optimised to work on multiple platforms (pc,android/iphone, ipad/tablet ect) With a possible option of graphic card images or text only.

Partly why I will do it in PHP is that it is a framework I am familiar with, and creating a responsive design is simplicity itself, so instantly platform independent.

Hell I'd be happy with just "card images" with just a few "right click" options (tap, untap, attached card, remove pool ect )and a room chat. A much more simplified version of Lackey without 1000s of commands, also the option to save games is paramount, while waiting for others who may be offline to declare actions/reactions ect. And of course it is crucial that this is playable on multiple platforms unlike LACKEY.

The goal is something as simple as JOL but as pretty as lackey. This means a LOT of the requests for automation are not going to happen (sorry guys)(some will, just not all by any measure.)

make it So number one :woohoo:

Red shirts don't get to give orders.......

More
13 Sep 2015 07:55 #73069 by Blooded Sand

I started to work on a jol-like web application using knockout, but it's just a stub and I don't have time to work on it.
I think a collaborative project could work if multiple people had time to work on it (the goal being to reproduce something like jol).
I wouldn't play V:TES by mail.

Do you have the ERDs still?

More
15 Sep 2015 05:48 #73128 by Blooded Sand
Bump to highlight multiple updates to OP. Any comments would be appreciated, same for input or requests. These are great BEFORE the start of this kind of project, not so much later once design is baked.

More
15 Sep 2015 06:16 #73129 by Ankha

I started to work on a jol-like web application using knockout, but it's just a stub and I don't have time to work on it.
I think a collaborative project could work if multiple people had time to work on it (the goal being to reproduce something like jol).
I wouldn't play V:TES by mail.

Do you have the ERDs still?

No. It was more a end-user stub that would connect to a web service to get the job done. I started to write the API contract, but I don't know where it is.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blooded Sand

More
16 Sep 2015 04:14 - 16 Sep 2015 04:16 #73150 by stinky_nerd
suggestion: Ability to swap out an inactive/retired player for an active one.

Basically, in the case of someone disappearing for good, an admin can boot the player and get another player to take his place.

Could be an alternative to retconning someone out of the game, instead of abandoning the game, if an active player is willing to sacrifice their time playing someone else's deck.

/Edit:
The player's name should reflect the swap...

Nerd, previously Noob (Pool: 13)
Last edit: 16 Sep 2015 04:16 by stinky_nerd.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds