file L5R Comparisons

14 Nov 2015 18:22 #74274 by TheLich
L5R Comparisons was created by TheLich
Has the idea of doing a partial reboot been thought about? Basically doing what L5R did after the Olympics Lawsuit?

Cards could simply have a redesign and new 'functional reprints' of cards could be produced with the new redesign. All the rules and other aspects of the game could remain compatible with the existing game. It would be as problematic to existing players as the original Camarilla Edition design change was, but it would be amazing for new players. Not all cards would inherently need functional reprints, but over time the reprint could be produced. In fact, the designs and names could be entirely community driven and it would be a huge selling point to the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BenPeal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2015 19:57 #74275 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Re: L5R Comparisons
i remember apocalypse caliber whining when that happened for L5R, not to mention when Jyhad moved to V:tes.

More
15 Nov 2015 17:05 #74290 by ReverendRevolver
What's the legality with things like this? If we design green and brown backs similar but not identical to vtes backs, put vampire art collection on them, and print vtes card sized prints of artwork, is this legal as a proxy? Deep song, eyes of argue, freak drive, target vitals, even httb deflection and govern are things we could do this with. If paradox doesn't dig us out. If they do, things change.

More
15 Nov 2015 19:00 #74292 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Re: L5R Comparisons

Has the idea of doing a partial reboot been thought about? Basically doing what L5R did after the Olympics Lawsuit?

Cards could simply have a redesign and new 'functional reprints' of cards could be produced with the new redesign. All the rules and other aspects of the game could remain compatible with the existing game. It would be as problematic to existing players as the original Camarilla Edition design change was, but it would be amazing for new players. Not all cards would inherently need functional reprints, but over time the reprint could be produced. In fact, the designs and names could be entirely community driven and it would be a huge selling point to the game.

Man, if only someone was trying to come up with a new template for these cards...
The following user(s) said Thank You: BenPeal

More
15 Nov 2015 22:37 #74302 by TheLich
Replied by TheLich on topic Re: L5R Comparisons
Was that you that had done those redesigns. I noticed someone had posted up some really sweet looking designs.

Also, L5R's problem was that when the new cards were launched they started the format at 0 from their. The first new set was nerfed so strongly that many of the houses were unplayable (dragon and phoenix). It took 2 or 3 sets to start fixing things. Most of the lesser clans as well were non-existent. IT was a slow return, but players came back.

This method does not involve casting away the old sets, just reintroducing new cards to replace the old ones. Functional reprints can even encourage many people to reinvest in reprints, especially if the card design is awesome enough.

More
15 Nov 2015 23:50 #74304 by brettscho
Replied by brettscho on topic Re: L5R Comparisons

As far as I know, this was a very different situation than what VTES has right now. The Olympics committee was only upset about the card back, and that was the only thing that needed to be changed. Nothing about the game itself, the cards, or most of the art produced for the game (unless it had 5 interlocking rings...) was affected in any way. I'm not sure what lessons can be learned form this that actually impact VTES.

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds