file What if VTES was rebooted into an incompatible 2.0 version?

31 Mar 2016 13:02 #76136 by drstrange26
I am no expert by any means when it comes to game design. However, I believe VTES is unique in that it uses two decks at once: Vampires/Crypt Cards and Library Cards. I could absolutely see an example of not all Library Cards being 100 percent compatible while Vampires/Crypt Cards being completely compatible. And I know this sounds crazy, but the opposite could be true as well Vampire/Crypt Cards not being compatible while all the Library Cards could be compatible. And compatibility does not mean they will be usable. I can think of a set of 'new' VTES 2.0 vampires with no dominate discipline. Different Sects. Nearly Broken special abilities. AND totally incompatible with the current set. However I can see them making some library cards that would only be usable by the current vampires, and some that are totally 100% useable by both sets. This would create a rift of sorts. Use the old vampires and suffer power loss and no new great ideas. Or use the new vampires and new disciplines not available in the old set.

I could also see the whole restricted list rear its ugly head as well.
No Imbued allowed in version 2.0. All Group 1 and Group 2 vampires not allowed in version 2.0.

I can see all of these possibilities and I don't think this is going to be a stricts 0% or 100% deal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2016 18:33 #76147 by TwoRazorReign

Why was it that we specifically got a Survey about a reboot?
I suspect that it is precisely what we will see.

So let me get this straight: the current plan is to introduce a new card game based on currently-not-in-production WoD source material that is incompatible with any of the previous sets, thereby ensuring an even more niche customer base than the game currently has? Sounds like a winning plan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
31 Mar 2016 19:45 #76154 by GreyB
You're all off topic... :whistle:

:garg: :VIS: :POT: :FOR: :flight: -1 Strength

More
31 Mar 2016 20:40 #76159 by Blooded Sand
Simplest solution, no reboot, continue as is, release a LARGE rerpint set having all the most used cards (use twda as an indicator on what to reprint, please, no fucking eyes of the dead)
Old players: Happy, status quo continues
New players: Happy, can buy Vileins and Enkil and Summon history to their hearts content
WW: Happy, negligible amounts spent to create an income generating product.

:assa: :flight: :QUI: :OBF: :POT: :FOR: :TEM: :DOM:

More
01 Apr 2016 03:51 - 01 Apr 2016 03:51 #76163 by Juggernaut1981

Why was it that we specifically got a Survey about a reboot?
I suspect that it is precisely what we will see.

So let me get this straight: the current plan is to introduce a new card game based on currently-not-in-production WoD source material that is incompatible with any of the previous sets, thereby ensuring an even more niche customer base than the game currently has? Sounds like a winning plan.

1) The new company openly talk about new computer games, other new developments AND re-engaging with both RPG and VTES players.

2) Nobody previously has been able to go ahead while they still might have to tangle with Hasbro over what the stuff was that Wizards still owned that never got transferred to White Wolf but people could still try lawyer each other into oblivion.

3) The easiest way to solve 2, is to not reprint. You don't bother resurrecting the old game, you cannibalise it. You steal all the core elements that make the game distinctive, throw out the potentially Hasbro-contentious stuff, then you replace the rest with a new name that you can sell through Bricks and Mortar or Online in some format (LCG, Starter+Booster, Classic CCG, PoD, something else).

4) You release the cards with the new RPGs (or RPG reprints) AND the new software in a 'huge super relaunch of the Old World of Darkness' with massive fanfares and appeals to all people and things nerd or vampire.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Last edit: 01 Apr 2016 03:51 by Juggernaut1981.

More
01 Apr 2016 09:49 #76169 by elotar

I think there is a precedent with the game of thrones LCG.

Have you got any numbers about GoT LCG second edition sales and player participation?

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds