file How I would relaunch V:TES (competitiveness + Speed and fluidity)

05 Mar 2016 14:01 #75796 by 2wayspeaker
Everybody is enthousiastically flooding the forum with their ideas on how VTES should come into print. I think the forum is slightly losing focus.

Stakeholders
  • Paradox
  • VEKN
  • Random people
  • Interested players
  • Old Players

Paradox (Just making assumptions)
  • Profit motive: Paradox wants to make money from the recently aquired IP
  • Branding: They want to strengthen the IP, Releasing a role play game, an MMO and a Card game might serve their interests. Establishing an IP as strong and lasting as Warhammer 40k where you have books, tabletop, videogames, cardgames,... etc is (in my opinion) definitely something they want to achieve.

VEKN
  • Continuance of VTES as a card game. This implicits striving for a growth in player base.

Random people
  • Enjoying life, making friends, earning respect from accomplishments, a new challenge.
  • Random encounters.

Interested players
  • Find value (challenge, fun, mechanics, artwork, WOD IP, other goal,...) in VTES
  • Achievement & Progress: Upon joining they need to feel like they stand a chance, they need to feel progress in the ingame turns they take and in the decks they can build.
    On this note: World Ranking needs to be restored to this site ASAP

Old players
  • Personal VTES motivation: For me personally this is 5 player game with prey predator relationship. I care very little for vampire/werewolf/theme or what the disciplines mean. I care about the table balance, the player meta politics and how I can achieve my goal (Ousting as many prey's before death or time) in an efficient and consistent way. I like building decks with all the wonky existing strategies to see if there's value in them.
  • Pot commitment: I'm only playing for a year, but there's players here that have spent a significant part of their life and a significant amount of money to play VTES, for whatever other reasons that motivates old players this adds to it.
  • Friends and other allegiances/rivalrys that have sprung from playing VTES, Casually meeting your friends on a regular shedule, maybe you intentionally fly a plane to a tournament half a world away just so you can beat that one player.

Please add whatever motives for the stakeholders and new stakeholders you can think of that are of importance.

My opinions about a new release
To get new players I'm a firm believer in the following things:
  1. Card design: Needs to be prettier and clearer, more contrast, more vivid cards, more gruelly artwork. Votes should be clear, clans and sects, what is an ability? Is it Arika's pay for locations? Is it the +2 bleed? The 4 votes? The redesign should make the cards layout so crystal clear that seeds of corruption is playable without mistakes or discussion.

2. A visible distribution channel. I'd like it to be physical, but it doesn't have to be physical. A physical distribution gives the current players and princes a chance at promoting their game, someone interested pops over to spectate you can guide them to the counter and advise them on what starter deck/LCG box they should buy to play along instantly.

I know a bunch of Yu-gi-oh players that randomly bought "pokemon world championship decks" they barely know the rules but play it on the side for fun, even though none of the 4 decks they bought are from the same format. They bought it because it was at the counter and had the promise of being competitive for 15Eur.

If paradox makes an awesome simulator for vtes like Heartstone that'd be fine. However Random People need to be able to notice it. I do think paradox needs to make a tablet version of vtes, preferably conference call style in very vivid and clear design.

To get new players we need VTES to be visible to new players that possibly share the interest for the setting/mechanics

3. Card Flow: The concept that your hand replentishes instantaneously is great! Really. It's one of the strengths of VTES. However most cards in the library are so crazy specific that they are unplayable, even cards that are playable often have no use at certain points in the game. A useless hand of cards is really frustrating (all my vampires are in torpor/pentexed/stolen range of frustrating). Every player should always be able to do something meaningful on their turn. What annoys me most about current card design is that it is made for double effects but it is not used by card designers instead of chosing for 2 effects like Eyes of Argus they mainly choose for a single effect with a bit more like Spirit's Touch. Intimidation isn't as flexible as Entrancement. Pursuit is better than Blur not because of the blood cost, but the multifunctionality. VTES needs more: Searches, Combo cards, Recursion.

4. Introduction set: There's no need to baby new players. New players aren't stupid, if the card design is clear and the rules are cleaned from the clutter there's no reason to give them a watered down VTES. Do you really think New players will stick with vtes if all the new set allows them to do is lose from old players with acces to rare cards? New players need to jump in with immediate availability to all cards that see tournament play.
    You can't create a new limited VTES without splitting the community in 2.

VTES is great because we have a balancing system inherent in the rules: Unique.
    If a card is too strong (Pentex, Enkil, Parthenon, Ivory Bow,....) it can be contested. There's only a balance problem when acces to these cards is restricted. I had to search very hard to get a copy of Pentex to stop my star vampire decks from eating dust each and every time.

The Introduction Set should include all tournament viable cards (Ashurs, Ossian, Target Vitals, WWS, .44Magnums, Govern, Deflection, Villein, Voter Cap, Zillah's Valley, Pentex,....) Let the new players wage war on the old players with all tools available. Don't give them a crappy Black Hand Starter deck and beat them into submission each and every game because they have no acces to actually usefull cards.

No, don't start whining about "Design space" Don't exclude Magnum or Govern. Create better cards to accompany the set, create alternative ousting methods, alternative acceleration methods, make everything so it can be interacted with. A Potence card that can break the opposing vampire's arms and steal his Magnum, A Serpentis card that turns things like Enchant Kindred/Govern/Zillah's Valley into corruption counters. The game is about Methuselahs thwarting each other in a struggle for power.

So: Introduction set = Tournament viable reprints + new cards that match power level of Kine (4 pool damage flexible) and Govern (3 Pool damage to prey + flexible). If you are worried about game length you should'nt take away the punch from the decks, you should provide more ways to punch.

What should be the reprints at least?
I'd like to see new cards and new vampires of grouping 5-6 added to this, all need to be on good powerlevel.
  1. Carlton
  2. Jake Washington
  3. Gregory Winter
  4. Ossian
  5. Procurer
  6. Muddled Vampire Hunter
  7. Renegade Garou
  8. Ponticulus

9. Mr. Whintrop
  10. Tasha Morgan
  11. Raven Spy
  12. Homunculus

13. Ivory Bow
  14. Palatial Estate
  15. Heart of Nizchetus
  16. Bowl of Convergence
  17. Soul Gem

18. .44 Magnum
  19. Leather Jacket
  20. Sport Bike
  21. Camera Phone
  22. Kevlar Vest
  23. Light Intensifying goggles
  24. Flash Grenade

25. KRC
  26. Banishment
  27. Parity Shift
  28. Con boon
  29. Ancient Influence
  30. Ancilla empowerment
  31. Rumors of Gehenna
  32. Reins of Power

33. The Unmasking

34. Villein
  35. Dreams
  36. Ashurs
  37. Pentex
  38. Giants Blood
  39. Barrens
  40. Direct Intervention
  41. Wash
  42. Effective Management
  43. Wider View
  44. Madness Network
  45. Montreal

46. Enkil Cog
  47. Second Trad
  48. The Embrace
  49. Fake Out
  50. Dodge
  51. Trap
  52. Target Vitals
  53. Concealed Weapon
  54. Amaranth

55. Into Thin Air
  56. Cloak The Gathering
  57. Swallowed By the Night
  58. Faceless Night
  59. Elder Impersonation

60. Majesty
  61. Voter Cap
  62. Entrancement
  63. Enchant Kindred
  64. Perfect Paragon

65. Immortal Grapple
  66. Disarm
  67. Slam
  68. Thrown Gate
  69. Preternatural Strength

70. Form of Mist
  71. Earth Meld
  72. Earth Control
  73. Flesh of Marble
  74. Claws of The Dead

75. Kindred Spirits
  76. Eyes of Chaos
  77. Confusion
  78. Deny
  79. Restructure

80. Deflection
  81. Govern
  82. Conditioning
  83. Bonding
  84. Seduction

85. Daring the dawn
  86. Kiss of Ra
  87. RWTP
  88. Freak Drive
  89. Soak

90. Magic of the smith
  91. Rego Motus
  92. Theft of Vitae
  93. Apportation
  94. Burst of Sunlight

95. Cat's Guidance
  96. Carrion Crows
  97. Deep Song
  98. Canine Horde
  99. Aid From Bats

100. Telephatic Misdirection
  101. Enhanced Senses
  102. Eyes of Argus
  103. Eagle's Sight
  104. Precognition

105. Pursuit
  106. Blur
  107. Psyche
  108. Sideslip
  109. Infernal Pursuit
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjvtes521, Maddog, 1muflon1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2016 17:51 #75799 by 1muflon1
I could not agree more with everything you just said.

More
06 Mar 2016 07:17 #75818 by Zombieking

Paradox (Just making assumptions)
  • Branding: They want to strengthen the IP, Releasing a role play game, an MMO and a Card game might serve their interests. Establishing an IP as strong and lasting as Warhammer 40k where you have books, tabletop, videogames, cardgames,... etc is (in my opinion) definitely something they want to achieve.

• Yes! It is so good to see somebody mention this :)
    Think back to the talk that was given a few months ago regarding their plans for the game.

They obviously have plans for the WoD which extend beyond this card game. There will inevitably be new plot, ideas, themes that will be thrown to the forefront. I think it'd be amazing to have a (compatible) revised edition of the game, but with a base set being heavily rooted in their newly envisioned world. New cards, new ideas, new strategies!

I dont want to lose the game I love, but Im excited to see some new flavour injected into the whole shebang!

More
    06 Mar 2016 19:12 #75836 by Brum
    My only changes to what you wrote would be to remove all triffles, events, cards that allow players to act on another's turns and masters out of turn JUST for the first set.
    Then those could be re-introduced later.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Maddog

More
    06 Mar 2016 21:55 #75839 by ReverendRevolver
    Mostly agree. Taste of vitae is super important though.

More
    07 Mar 2016 00:53 #75840 by brettscho

My only changes to what you wrote would be to remove all triffles, events, cards that allow players to act on another's turns and masters out of turn JUST for the first set.
    Then those could be re-introduced later.

I'd even go further and say that cards that allow you to act on other people's turns should just go away. They are absurdly powerful and extremely complicated rules wise. I think the game could safely allow them to go. If out of turn actions must be taken, force them to be used between turns - after the discard phase of one player but before the untap phase of another. Acting during the minion phase creates all kinds of rules problems without much gain timing-wise.

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:
    The following user(s) said Thank You: kpram, self biased

More
    Moderators: AnkhaKraus
    Time to create page: 0.115 seconds